It’s that time again, and those of us behind the scenes at Etsy would like to share our merchandising plans for February. As we continue to plan Etsy’s calendar for the year ahead with thematic merchandising, we will be incorporating many of the concepts you shared in response to January’s report and continue to welcome your input. It is our goal to create a healthy balance between promotions for traditional holidays, seasonal changes, and lifestyle trends.
- Valentine’s Day: All things amorous: conventional and not-so-conventional. We’ll be highlighting the Valentine subcategory, relevant searches and the following themes: relationships, engagements, romance, gifts for her, him, the little ones, and for friends. Also look for the funny Valentine, naughty side, the anti-Valentine, DIY solutions for parties, decor, and edible delights.
- Fashion: With February 11 kicking off New York’s Fall Fashion Week, we’ve got the wardrobe on the brain. Think avant-garde, emerging designs, and new interpretations of classic staples. As February comes to a close, look for hints of spring fashion.
- Winter Olympics: It’s finally here: February 12-28 in Vancouver, winter sports will be all the rage. Look for highlights of athletics, gear, imagery, and competition.
- Celebrations and Festivities: With Carnival and Mardi Gras as inspiration, think international parties, decor, music, dance, costumes, vibrant colors, parades, masquerade, the circus, and delectable treats.
- Reflection of Self: A time to take it easy, slow down, rejuvenation, health and wellness, spa, bath and beauty, pampering, and indulging.
- The International Vacation: Global adventures, features on warmer weather destinations, taking a holiday, romantic getaways, beach gear, and highlights of spring/summer fashion in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Weddings: A creative and classic spin on all aspects of the big day including attire, decor, invitations, favors, and gift ideas.
- February trends: Our trend forecasting for February includes expressions of love: notes, personalization, and keepsakes. Alice in Wonderland motifs and themes: tea cups, rabbits, whimsy, stripes, pocket watches. Back to basics: farmhouse aesthetic, imagery, art, decor, rustic, quilts, repurposed and vintage industrial throwbacks. Textured soaps and scrubs. Text and numbers incorporated into items. Chalkboards and organizational storage solutions. Innovative twists in fashion: embellishments and textured materials, slim fits and statement pieces, vintage boots, and leather accessories for gadgets. Color trends for February include shades of red, turquoise, navy, and white. Hints of spring arise with nautical and classic motifs, stripes, and softer palettes on their way.
- Amethyst is February’s birthstone, and February’s astrological signs are Aquarius and Pisces (Aquarius: January 21 – February 19, Pisces: February 20 – March 20: Pisces). We also celebrate the Chinese (Lunar) New Year in February, which is the year of the tigerin 2010.
If your items fall under the main thematic categories we’ll be highlighting this month, it might be a great time to consider purchasing a spot in a Category Showcase. For those of you who enjoy making Treasuries, we’ll be looking to highlight lists that interpret January and February’s themes in a creative and cohesive way, as well as the many innovative and beautiful collections that we normally feature.
Upcoming Dates to Remember
- February is known as Black History Month
- February 2: Groundhog Day
- February 7: Superbowl Sunday
- February 11: NYC Fall Fashion Week
- February 12-28: Winter Olympics in Vancouver
- February 13-16: Carnival
- February 14: Valentine’s Day
- February 14: Chinese New Year (tiger) aka Lunar
- February 15: President’s Day
- February 16: Mardi Gras
Do you have a date to remember that you don’t see on the list? Let us know in the comments section below. We are currently working towards incorporating a more detailed calendar of international holidays into Etsy’s thematic merchandising plans, so we’re eager to hear which dates you would like to see included.
We’d like to hear from you!
We appreciate your support and look forward to your feedback and suggestions in the comments section below.