Kristen Chase and Liz Gumbinner are the publishers of Cool Mom Picks, arguably the most influential shopping and design blog for parents on the web. With a cheeky tone and a knack for spotting trends before they hit the mainstream, Cool Mom Picks is dedicated to supporting small businesses, independent artists, boutique brands, sustainability, and coolness in whatever form it comes.
We first started Cool Mom Picks as a way of showcasing the incredible items being made, designed or sold by moms and other small business owners and indie artists. Etsy has long been one of our favorite resources for gifts for the family. Just check our holiday gift guide — Etsians and crafters all over the place! If you’re still looking to track down gifts for everyone in the family, here are just a few of the beautiful, mom-approved items we love on Etsy right now.
1. Embroidery Patterns Winter Wonderland by September House. Such a special keepsake — we just love her work. 2. Teething Rattle Toy by little alouette. For future rockers, from one of our favorite mom-and-pop shops. 3. Modern Heirloom Soft Blocks by maternalNEST. All of her items were originally designed for her own child. You can feel the love! 4. Organic Cotton Plane Baby Toy by Marika. No TSA pat-downs required. 5. Furry Baby Boots by FunkyShapes. Get your baby ready for that Christmas morning photo-op!
1. Sooper Hero cap by Soil. Why be Superman when you can be SuperOliver? 2. Mini Holiday Set of Hand Carved Rubber Stamps by Cupcake Tree. This is fantastic for helping children make their own cards and thank you notes. 3. Studio Heirloom Doll by Viola Studio. A doll for children who were very, very, very good this year. 4. Personalized Plate and Bowl Set by olliegraphic. Here’s to the end of the “That’s MY bowl” fights in the morning. 5. Heirloom Wooden Train Set by Marc’s Woodworking. This is one that your grandchildren will inherit.
1. Multibubble Scarf by Clarice. This scarf comes in loads of colors, but we’re in love with the lavender. 2. Lotus Mug by yogagoat. New moms need coffee. Trust us. 3. Custom Silhouette Necklace by lucky me beads. We’re on a silhouette kick lately, and this is a truly special keepsake. 4. Silver Etched Diary Pendant by Tina Roeder. This necklace can be etched from a personal letter, journal entry, or your own handwriting. 5. The Pretty Chick Collection – Mineral Eye Shadow Set by Concrete Minerals. Buy this for a mom, especially if it comes with a gift certificate for a babysitter and the promise of date night. 6. Poetry in Burgundy by bayan hippo. Oh, how nice to have one bag that’s not made to hold diapers!
1. Big Lebowski Coast set by Retro Whale. Not that cool moms wouldn’t love this, too. 2. Writer’s inspiration journal by moon bindery. Every great guy has a little Hemingway in him somewhere. 3. Wood iPad Case by Substrata This lovely case is as fine a reason as any to get an iPad. 4. Custom Handstamped Cufflinks by Metal Pressions. A great gift for sentimental dads and granddads. 5. Antique Bicycle screeprinted necktie by Cyberoptix Tie Lab. The shop’s tagline is “ties that don’t suck,” and we’d have to agree.
1. The Mini Da Vinci by Blue Day Designs. Have the kids draw a picture of their grandparents. 2. Family Tree With Seven Custom Silhouettes by Constance Crenshaw designs. A lovely way to honor our matriarchs and patriarchs. 3. Family Totem Keychain by Silver Me Pendants. Engrave with the kids’ names, or just your family nickname for the grandparents. 4. Notepads with your child’s photo by small creatures. This seller can also turn a child’s artwork into an apron or a tote bag. So great!
Happy holidays from the Cool Moms!