The holidays are in the air! For this week’s How-Tuesday post, Etsy Admin Nicole Licht demonstrates how to make folded gem-shaped ornaments, a project that has its roots as a traditional German paper craft. We’ve provided a PDF template that you can print out to guide you through folding your first ornament. Once you get the hang of it, you won’t really need to follow the template guidelines any more. Try folding larger ornaments on colorful and printed papers. Try making some with cardstock too. You can really make this project your own by adding your personal creative touch — playing with scale, color, and embellishments.
Mark your calendars for Thursday, December 1! Local Etsy team members will be on hand at the Etsy + West Elm Handmade Holiday Workshop to guide you through this very project, complete with handmade stamps and beautiful embossed papers in a festive atmosphere. Find gifts from local Etsy sellers, make a holiday craft with an Etsy team and support a local charity, all happening at your nearest West Elm store! Join us in 37 locations on Thursday, December 1 from 6-9 p.m. to participate in the festivities, and contribute gifts and decorations to the tree we’re donating to a local charity. More details.
1. Cut along the dotted line to remove ornament template. Decorate the unprinted side of the paper before or after you start folding, in any way you want. Follow instructions below while folding along the lines.
2. Begin with the printed side facing up. Fold square in half. Open, turn 90 degrees, fold in half again. Return to open square.
3. Fold diagonally, matching corners. Open, turn 90 degrees, fold in half again. Return to open square.
4. Fold corners inward to meet the diagonal fold line, forming a kite shape. Open and repeat with each
corner (four times).
5. Pinch at the middle point of all four sides inward while cupping the square in your palm. As sides fold inward, push down on the center with your finger to form a point.
6. Place Glue Dots (or double-stick tape or glue stick) on the inward folds. Add string to one strip of tape. Adhere and form ornament shape.
7. Try adding fringe, collage, or anything that strikes your creative fancy. Hang up your creation for a festive atmosphere, and try folding more and more with your own custom embellishments.
Happy holidays from Etsy to you!
Julie Schneider is a Brooklyn-based artist, teacher, and punster. When she's not working on Etsy's community team, she's writing, drawing, and making cards and papercuts. Keep up with her latest creations on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest.