Etsy's Trademark Guidelines
We here at Etsy™ support and encourage ideas, services, and tools that use and supplement the Etsy services; however, we are also serious about protecting our reputation and brand identity. To help us achieve this goal, we have created these guidelines to help Etsy members, Etsy Teams, and others refer to us or our services without compromising the strength of our trademarks or our brand identity. In other words, these guidelines only concern the use of Etsy’s intellectual property (for example, the use of the term “Etsy”). For issues regarding any intellectual property which is not exclusively owned by Etsy, Inc. please refer to Etsy’s Copyright and Intellectual Property Policy.
A trademark is a word, name, symbol or device (or a combination thereof) that identifies the goods or services of a person or company and distinguishes them from the goods and services of others. The word “Etsy” and other Etsy graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, scripts, and service names (together, the “Etsy Marks”) are registered trademarks, trademarks or trade dress of Etsy, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
Why must Etsy Protect the Etsy Marks? Etsy must be to able assure Internet users and others that only the services offered, sponsored, or endorsed by Etsy actually bear the Etsy Marks. Trademark law requires that we not only protect against improper use of the Etsy Marks, but also protect against the use of confusingly similar marks.
Using the Etsy Marks
In order for you to help us protect the Etsy Marks, we ask the following:
- Do make fair use of Etsy’s Marks. Etsy supports free speech and you do not need permission to make legitimate commentary about Etsy, the company, or Etsy’s services.
- Do distinguish the Etsy Marks from surrounding text by, for example, capitalizing the first letter of the Etsy Marks.
- Do spell the Etsy Marks properly.
- Do not say things about Etsy you know are not true.
- Do not incorporate the Etsy Marks or a confusingly similar mark into, for example, the name of your business, organization, non-profit organization, event, or trademark.
- Do not remove, alter, distort or modify the Etsy Marks, including adding other terms to the Etsy Marks to create new words.
- Do not use the Etsy Marks or a confusingly similar mark in a way that falsely implies a relationship or affiliation with, sponsorship, or endorsement by Etsy, Inc. or that can be reasonably interpreted to suggest information comes from, or represents the views or opinions of Etsy, Inc. or an Etsy employee.
- Do not, without prior permission, use the Etsy Marks in a product. Click here for information about applying for a license to use an Etsy Mark in connection with a product.
- Do not use any trademarks, service marks, trade dress, designs or logos that are confusingly similar to the Etsy Marks or the look and feel of the Etsy website.
- Do not use the Etsy Marks in any way or on any website that contains or promotes adult content, gambling, or otherwise violates applicable law or regulation.
- Do not use the Etsy Marks in a manner that is in Etsy’s sole opinion misleading, unfair, defamatory, infringing, libelous, disparaging, tarnishing, obscene or otherwise objectionable to Etsy.
To help clarify these guidelines, please check out these examples.
Etsy reserves the right to alter these policies at any time.