How do I set up a shop?
Welcome to selling on Etsy! Running an Etsy shop is a fun and exciting process that we hope you'll love. This guide will walk you through setting up your shop and listing your first item.
Step 1: Register
If you haven't yet, please register for an Etsy account.
How to register for an account.
Step 2: Sign Up to Sell
To get started, click Sell at the top of the site. Review the Sell page and click Open Up an Etsy Shop when you're ready.
Step 3: Language and Currency
You'll be asked if you want to choose your language preference and currency in which you list items.
The language you choose will be your shop's default language. You won't be able to change it later, although you will be able to enroll in other languages after opening your shop.
You'll be able to change your currency, but only after you open your shop. Learn more about setting your currency.
Step 4: Start Setting Up Your Shop
Complete each of the four tabs, and you'll be ready to open. You can go back and edit your shop at any time, before or after opening it.
Step 5: Choose Your Shop Name
Your shop name will be held for you while you open.
If it says your name is already in use, keep in mind that in addition to the name being an open shop, it may be a username for a buyer account or an account that is closed or unavailable.
Shop names can contain up to 20 letters and numbers. They can't have spaces or punctuation.
Step 6: Shop Look and Branding
Example from RiverLuna
Banner: A 760 x 100 pixel image at for the top your shop. Learn more about adding a banner.
Shop Title: A short description of your shop or the kinds of items you offer. Learn more about Shop Titles.
Shop Announcement: Text that appears at the top of your shop, below your banner. Often used to welcome buyers or promote sales. Learn more about Shop Announcements.
- If you don't want to add these now, you can add them after you open your shop.
Step 7: List Items
List your first item — you’re almost ready for your big shop debut! Learn about listing an item.
Step 8: Get Paid
Choose your preferred payment methods. The choices include:
- Credit Cards (US): Sign up to accept credit cards directly on Etsy. This is currently available to US sellers, and we are working on adding more countries. Learn about accepting credit cards in your shop.
- PayPal: Enter the email address associated with your PayPal account. Learn about signing up for PayPal.
- Check or money order: If you use a payment method that needs to be mailed to you, like check or money order, enter your mailing address here. This address will only be shared with a buyer who purchases from you and chooses this method.
- Bank transfers (non-US): Provide your account holder name, bank name, account number and routing number. A Swift ID or IBAN number may be needed if you choose to accept bank transfers from customers outside your country. Learn about bank transfers.
- Other: This means you have another way of accepting payment. Include information and instructions about your payment method in your listings and Shop Policies. Buyers don't submit payment in expectation of you collecting payment from them after they check out.
Step 9: Billing
Almost done! Enter your billing information and a valid credit card here.
Depending on what country you are in, you may need to enter a credit card to open your shop.
We protect your card information, and you will be able to use it to pay your bill. The card should be a Visa, Mastercard, American Express, or Discover. Debit cards with one of these card company logos also work.
Members in some countries outside the U.S. can open a shop with a PayPal account. If you can do this, you'll see an Authorize PayPal Account button on your Billing page.
Step 10: Open your Shop
When you finish all the sections, click Open Shop. You'll still be able to edit your shop after it's open.
Click Publish Listings and Open Shop and your shop will be public. Congratulations!
Continuing your shop setup
Tips for success