I created most of the symbols from polymer clay. The colors were chosen from those in the old black and white movies and television programs. The silver colored elements are silver plated. Some of the motifs and recurring symbols that are represented in this piece are as follows:
* Overall atmosphere - The lovely moonlit night - doesn't this just make you feel like you are in the movie, "Psycho?"
* Train tracks - Hitchcock loved vehicles, but none more than trains. Here they are represented by train tracks, which also could resemble his other favorite motif, stairs.
Tunnel - this handmade polymer clay cabachon represents that Freudian train tunnel, but also his popular motif of enclosed and confining spaces.
* The twins - to the left of the tunnel are two very similar faces. Hitchcock loved the idea of the Doppleganger, a double of a living person, typically representing evil or misfortune. Sometimes the doppleganger was the murderer, sometimes the victim. But often we have the theme of a main character discovering identical traits in himself and another.
* The hand - close-ups of hands as were often used to portray emotion. Is this the hand of a murderer? A victim?
* Birds - In addition to the movie with the same name, birds were used as a theme in many of his works.
* Swirl - Remember "Vertigo" and those crazy swirls. Hitchcock used heights and falling in a variety of ways.
*Windows and mirrors - Windows are represented by the open silver beads, and mirrors by the very shiny silver beads. Hitchcock used these symbols in a variety of ways. Think of "Rear Window," or the famous shadow of a person behind the frosted glass.
* Eyes - They are windows to the soul of course, but they also watch.
* Thirteen - The number 13 was often used in Hitchcock's work, whether it be an apartment number or a floor number, etc.
*Jewelry - jewelry itself was often used as a symbol of greed and power.
This piece was embroidered with beads by hand, each bead attached individually with several passes of nylon thread, an exacting and time-consuming process. It is backed with soft Ultrasuede. With proper care, this piece should last for generations.
I am a proud member of the Etsy Beadweavers Team. Search EBW TEAM for more beautiful beadwoven creations or visit our blog for links to all members’ shops: http://etsy-beadweavers.blogspot.com. Please visit our team blog between the 9th and 15th of each month and vote for your favorite Challenge entry.
I am also a proud member of the Etsy Bead Embroider's Guild. Please visit our team blog at http://etsybeadembroideryguild.wordpress.com.
Hitchcock - Winner of the Etsy Beadweaver "Mystery" Challenge
- Handmade item
- Materials: seed beads, polymer clay, glass beads, Czech pressed glass, Czech fire polished glass, silver plate, tila beads, glass eyes, number beads
- Feedback: 3 reviews
- Ships worldwide from United States