Peppered with anecdotes and friendly advice, while based in research and experience, Wings, Worms, and Wonder answers this question. Above and beyond gardening guidance on topics such as composting and organic pest control, it gives adults with newly green thumbs the tools to reconnect themselves and the children in their lives to the natural world through holistic gardening experiences. It will ignite your confidence to create outdoor learning experiences that nurture both wonder and ecological literacy.
Overflowing with tips for successfully gardening with children in school and community settings, as well as including 36 child tested lesson plans, you’ll find everything you need to seamlessly integrate gardening into both elementary curricula and daily life. Rooted in scientific and arts based Nature-Study and progressive education models, this guide is invaluable for anyone wanting to grow a thriving children’s gardening program. This book will inspire and equip you to sprout a happier, healthier generation of children!
That’s all great, but what will this book actually do for you?! Lots!!
1. Provide you with 40 lesson and project plans that integrate garden and nature activities across math, science, language, writing, and history/cultural subject areas
2. Provide you with regionally specific tips, suggestions, and advice for growing successful gardens year round (including what to do with a school garden in the summer)
3. Provide you with the theoretical framework from which school gardening and gardening with children outside the home originated
4. Provide you with the philosophy and methods of the Nature-study Movement and how they relate to the current educational theories and practices of Montessori, Steiner, and Sobel’s place-based education methods
5. Provide you with the developmental psychology, educational theory and method, and the historical background and integrative practices needed to “sell” or justify the importance of school gardening, outdoor learning, place connection, and educating for ecological literacy to city councils, school administrations, or parent groups.
6. Provide you with hundreds of print, online, and supply resources for adults and children divided by subject category
7. Provide you with a passcode to the website’s book owners Garden Party page where you will find 4 bonus lesson plans, PDF downloads of all the book’s research masters and patterns, an expanded table of contents, a PDF easy to use format compilation of the first year’s Wonder Wednesday Lesson plans from the blog, inspiring garden planning PDF fun sheets, and access to the Wings, Worms, and Wonder Garden Party private Facebook group and Pinterest board!!
8. This book will be an ally that will help you boost your confidence and skill set for gardening with children, growing vegetables, connecting youth with place and the natural world, and integrating holistic creative outdoor experiences into children’s lives everyday!
9. Spark your wonder and love for the natural world through it’s full color and fully illustrated format, conversational style, and environmentally responsible and animal friendly printing process!
10. Help you plant the seeds for a future generation of nature lovers who know how to “grow their own” and have an unshakeable commitment to preserving the beauty and biodiversity of our natural world!