Sierra BioScience was the first company to commercially offer lead-free ceramic cat fountains that are handmade in the USA. The designer of the Glacier Point fountains is an award winning medical device inventor (with more than 20 issued patents) who used scientific and medically recognized principles and materials that support health and do not contain materials or use workmanship that can cause injury or disease to a pet or a pet parent. Thousands of experienced cat parents have purchased a Glacier Point Cat Fountain because other cat fountains have design defects that range from inconvenient to dangerous.
>>>>>>>>The confusion regarding using copper tubing with pet fountains.<<<<<<<<<<<
The ceramic artisans who use copper tubing with pet watering devices conveniently ignore the information and warnings available online from public health experts regarding copper toxicity from copper tubing. The pet parent who is interested in science based information is invited to do a search on the Medical web sites such as “pubmed” using the search terms “copper toxicity” which will result in at least 1775 records. Perhaps one of the best scientific experts is “Dr. GL Brewer, MD” who is a genetics expert at the University of Michigan Medical School. If you cannot find the references, contact Barry and he can email the studies to you.
Feedback from our customers who have used more “stylish” cat fountains includes:
1. Ceramic cat fountains that have holes for cords or tubes leak after a few months which is beyond the warranty period for these beautiful fountains. Dishwashers and cleaning methods can often cause the materials used to seal the hole, such as silicon or glues, to fail resulting in leaks. Glacier Point ceramic basins do not have any holes and therefore are warranted against leakage for 20 years. (Warranties do not extend to damage caused by mishandling such as pouring boiling water directly into the basin or cracks that result from the basin being dropped.)
2. Ceramic fountains that do not have grounded electrical cords (three prongs) are not to be used around water. Source: http://www.tva.gov/power/homesafety.htm
3. The only effective charcoal filter is an inline filter. Inline filters are the only filters approved for use in hospitals, municipal water districts, automobiles and jet aircraft. Charcoal filters that simply sit inside a water container are worthless, ineffective and an insult to the intelligence of the average person.
4. Copper pipes will leak copper into water which is dangerous. A recent study demonstrated the leaching and can be viewed at http://www.usc.edu/CSSF/History/2005/Projects/J0522.pdf. The worldwide authority concerning water-safe products is the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) which tests, certifies and documents safety issues with copper pipes. The link to the NSF site is http://www.nsf.org/consumer/plumbing/index.asp.
5. Common sense and recent studies have documented that cats drink more water when the water level is near the top of the container. This requires a refill system that replaces water consumed or lost to evaporation. Cats will not put their head into a container that reduces their peripheral vision which is a valuable evolutionary adaptation to protect a cat from predators while the cat is drinking. Glacier Point is the only cat fountain that has a one gallon refill capacity using made-in-America glass bottles which can be easily cleaned and inexpensively replaced.
6. Glass refill bottles can be placed in the refrigerator so that cold water can be dispensed all day. If the cat parent has a busy schedule, one model from Sierra BioScience has a thermo electronic chiller (using the Peltier effect) that keeps the water cold. Common sense and experience tell us that if the water is cold, water consumption can be normalized leading to a healthier cat.
The bottom line is that stylish water fountains from ceramic artisans can be a beautiful addition to any home that does not have pets. Pet fountains are actually a medical device that requires the scientific knowledge and expertise of a professional medical device inventor.
What is the scientific rationale for recommending a cat fountain?
The air in the home can contain a long list of bacteria and toxins that become airborne and can settle into a cat’s water supply and need to be rapidly removed by effective filtration. The sources of the bacteria are numerous but the most obvious is when a toilet is flushed, thousands if not millions of potentially lethal bacteria are aerosolized and can drift most everywhere. Infectious disease experts refer to the air in the average home as a “Floating Zoo”, especially during the winter. Some common airborne toxins include stain-proofing and fire retardant chemicals which have been documented in a 26 page report by The Environmental Working Group in their study; “Polluted Pets” published April 17, 2008.
If a thoughtful veterinarian were to recommend a cat fountain it is highly likely that the Doctor would recommend a fountain that;
-is not porous and therefore can be cleaned and kept clean to remove the bacteria and chemicals such as glass or ceramic
-can prevent the buildup of mold and allow heat sterilization to kill the mold to prevent injury to the kidneys.
-has an effective filtration system to remove and then isolate toxins
-has a large glass refill capacity
The made-in-the-USA Glacier Point basin has a small footprint of 13 X 6 inches and is available in red, white and blue. The basin holds 3 quarts and the refill capacity is one gallon. Our new V90 pump is very quiet. Each fountain includess one 16 oz glass bottle. Additional refill bottles can be ordered, but the fountain is designed to accommodate repurposed glass vinegar bottles which is better for the environment and more cost-effective.
All fountains may be returned with no questions asked within 30 days of purchase and if undamaged, the full purchase price will be refunded less any shipping charges.
If you have correctly decided on a ceramic fountain you may also consider;
•Made in the USA and therefore is lead free?
•Has a large glass refill system?
•Has a medical grade filter that can trap molds and bacteria which can prevent kidney damage?
•Has NSF 51/61 certified water safe fittings?
Common sense invites every pet owner to conclude that any container that could contain food or water must be capable of being easily cleaned and effectively kept clean.
If you are considering one of the beautiful table fountains available on ETSY and plan to use it to water a pet, please ask yourself how important it is to have a large refill capacity, a medical grade filtering system, a basin that can never leak because there are no holes and is there an electric cord that is grounded and therefore much safer.
Basins are available in Red, White, or Blue. Please select the color you want from the options provided.
PLEASE READ SHOP POLICY ON REFUNDS AND EXCHANGES PRIOR TO PURCHASING.
Cat Fountain Mold Free USA Hand Made Ceramic Basin Glass Refill System Red White Blue
- Handmade item
- Materials: medical grade filter, professional grade imported pump, certified lead free glaze, FDA approved tubing and fittings, leak free Made in the USA ceramic basin, hand made ceramic basin made in USA, 7 quart capacity, NSF water safe fittings, copper free, glass refill bottles
- Feedback: 12 reviews
- Ships from United States to select countries.