Sorry, this item sold. You may also like:
The complete title of the book is “The Picture of London, for 1821; being A Correct Guide to a All the Curiosities, Amusements, Exhibitions, Public Establishments, and Remarkable Objects, In and Near London.”
Printed in Paternoster Row, London in 1821
The very extensive table of contents shows the wide coverage of the book, to name a few:
1. History and general particulars: The great Plague 1665, The great Fire 1666, Riots I 1780.
2. General Descriptions of London (The Livery, Population of Londin in 1811, Diseases and Mortality in 1813, Hospitals and Charitable Institutions, Places of Amusement
3. Public Buildings Eastward (The Tower of London, Lloyd’s Coffee House, The Excise House, The Auction Mart, East India Company’s Warehouses
4. General Charities (The Asylum, Society for Bettering the Condition of the Poor, Society of Schoolmasters)
5. Public Exhibitions (Barker’s Panorama, Bazaars, Wigley’s Rooms)
6. Environs of Lonon (The River Thames, Hampstead, Highgate, Richmond, Chertsey and St. Anne’s Hill, Deptford, Wooolwich
7. Rates of Watermen
and many, many more.
Also a fine example of beautiful English as it was written in the early 1800s. Here is an example, in the preface from the publisher:
"Flattered by public encouragement, and determined to render this volume in every respect worthy of the favour and preference of the public, the proprietors have embellished this Edition with One Hundred and Twenty Engravings, by Greig, representing the principal Buildings, and most striking Public Places in and near the Metropolis."
Please note that there is mention of two maps but only one of them (A Panorama of the Curiosities of London) is in the book. The other one is torn/mostly missing.
Hardbound, bound in green. Covers look loose but they won’t come off as they are held tightly in place by the original stitch binding. Only the last page is slightly loose. One page torn/mostly missing (the map). Slight foxing (spots), but overall in good condition.
For all other things London, including maps, click on:
Shipped to you in a box. Package is insured. Excess shipping charges over $1 will be refunded via PayPal.
Size: (L) 5.75" x (W) 3.5" x (H) 1.5"