Legends say the siren was portrayed as a seductresses, who lived on an island called Sirenum scopuli. Sailors who sailed near were compelled by the Sirens' enchanting music and voices to shipwreck on the rocky coast.
Much like sirens, mermaids would sometimes sing to people and gods and enchant them, distracting them from their work and causing them to walk off the deck or run their ships aground. Other stories have them squeezing the life out of drowning men while attempting to rescue them. They are also said to take humans down to their underwater kingdoms. In Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid it is said that they forget that humans cannot breathe underwater, while others say they drown men out of spite.
The sirens of Greek mythology are sometimes portrayed in later folklore as mermaid-like; in fact, some languages use the same word for both bird and fish creatures, such as the Maltese word 'sirena'.
* Necklace chain measures 24 inches in length.
* Mermaid has double sided detailing and hangs an additional 2 inches from chain when folded and 3 inches when knife component is unfolded.
* Knife contains minor wear marks as shown in photos due to found vintage nature.
* Perfect for the mermaid lover, a clever hidden tool, a gift for the Pisces or Aquarius in your life, and unique find that will certainly be a conversation starter.
* Need more than one? Contact me if you are interested in multiples of this or any item listed in the shop.
* Thanks so much for taking a peek and please have a look around the rest of the shop: contrary.etsy.com.
WARNING: Knife is a novelty item, not intended for children and not meant to be used as a weapon or cause any type of harm to another person or in general. Upon purchasing this necklace, you are agreeing not to hold me, Mary Andrews, responsible for any damages caused with necklace.
Have any questions? Contact the shop owner.