"Violet Layer Cake" - While watching my sister bake round Swiss rolls, I got in huge trouble for shaping them into squares after they came out of the oven (yes, for fun, and it was fun.)! Hence, the Layer Cake scarf was born and this one is very violet!
Made with traditional Batik techniques as done in Borneo. The border design is etched onto Jacquard silk with hot wax. The design is carefully hand painted over in shades of purple. Only the finest quality German dyes are used to create these pieces of Batik Wearable Art!
Our scarves measure approximately 72" x 11" (183 x 28 cm)
PICTURED HERE: Jacquard Silk - note the underlying weave in the fabric giving it texture and depth!
Choose your material!
Jacquard Silk - Sports an underlying weave giving the piece delicious depth and texture.
Satin Silk - Classic smooth and shiny silk!
Chiffon Silk - Elegantly light and sheer - the most delicate and fragile of all the silks.
Peace Silk - A hand woven, no-harm silk suitable for vegans. Has a soft, muted glow and shine.
After drying, all my batiks are set with textile fixer, then double boiled and ironed to ensure color steadfastness and long-term durability.
Each piece takes anywhere from 6 hours to 3 days of work. Whew!!! x_X
To give your Silk Batik a long and happy life, please look after it carefully with these tips and hints and a bit of common sense:
- Do not machine wash or tumble dry.
- Use cold water rather than warm or hot.
- Silk is a natural fibre like hair, as such you may find that a little shampoo will be gentler and give your batik a lustrous, shiny glow as opposed to using harsh detergents.
- NEVER EVER BLEACH!!!! Good gracious!!! 0_o
They can also be worn as headscarves or tied around the neck as ascots and cravats!
A word on color: We have tried our best to portray the colors of our items. Having said that, please do remember:
- monitor settings DO vary so do keep that in mind as you browse.
- We hand mix all colors which means while we can replicate approximate color, we can never replicate exact color except by fluke.
- Colors are temperamental thingies. Shades change with the weather, time of day, and temperature of the room. Some colors we create are seemingly never seen again! This is the beauty of handmade - having something no one else can ever have.
Shipping: We do combine shipping! Just send us a message here or on borneobatikraft [!at] gmail.com if you are interested in purchasing multiple pieces and let`s figure out which flat rate cutoff you fit under!
Visit my gallery at http://borneobatikraft.com/ for some ideas as to how to wear your batik.
The luxury of colorful silk batik always makes for pleasantly surprising and very welcome gifts!
Contact me for gift wrapping and a hand written card or note included with your purchase at no additional costs.
For more hand painted silk scarves: https://www.etsy.com/shop/BorneoBatikraft?section_id=10249877
New releases on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/BorneoBatikraft/164616236959207?ref=hl
Tweet Tweet!: https://twitter.com/#!/BorneoBatikraft
Photography: Francesco Formisano - www.francescoformisano.com