This is extraordinary piece work is a smooth sphere suspended on a gyroscopic frame, allowing a light or re-light from almost any angle. The handle is a silver and carved jade. The jade is pale almost white, I have seen it referred to as pudding or mutton fat jade. The carving is of a dragon stalking another fanged creature.
A perfect piece for the cigar smoker or aficionado. Copy and paste to see a YouTube video of the gyroscopic motion and the action of the lighter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blbuxYWlToM
This piece is in excellent condition with all parts working smoothly, there are 2 tiny dimples on the sphere, but they do not impede the function or beauty of the piece in any way. It measures about 8 1/2" (21.5 cm.) long. The diameter of gimbal frame is 2 1/2" (6.5 cm.) & the length of carved jade handle is 4 1/4" (11 cm.). To provide you with some perspective, in one photo is the back of my standard-sized business card 3.5 x 2 inches (8.9 x 5 cm).
Please note, due to postal regulations this item ships without lighter fluid. It will need to be filled by you upon reaching it's destination. No flammable good are allowed through the USPS.
1. Shipping charge overages in excess of $1.00 are always refunded.
2. The price of these items carefully takes into account a host of factors including: age, maker, scarcity, and especially condition. Many are the only example currently for sale. Please feel free to do some comparison shopping.
3. All items are sold on a first come, first serve basis. If you are really serious about something, but need a bit of time to deliberate, please feel free to ask me to RESERVE it for you. I'm happy to reserve items for up to 24 hours. Simply convo'ing me with questions does not let me know the extent of your interest. Frequently multiple people are simultaneously asking about the same piece.
4. Unless otherwise stated, every item offered by Silver Magpies is sterling silver (i.e 925). If a piece is not sterling it is clearly labelled. Occasionally I offer pieces of silver-plate and silver items made from other standards of silver i.e. 800, 830, 900, 950, etc.
5. Each item offered has been personally hand inspected, researched and cataloged. Every piece is accompanied to its new home by a curator card recording details of provenance, origin and identity in words and photographs.
6. In contrast to other dealers, my pieces are never machine buffed to re-create a mirror-bright shine as Silver Magpies cherishes and celebrates the living finish of silver. Every Silver Magpies piece is carefully hand-polished. Patina, that lovely soft, grey sheen indicative of use and care, is the jewel in the crown of antique and vintage silver’s many charms. Discerning collectors prize patina, and its loss through over-zealous hand or machine polishing is to be lamented.
7. Don't forget you can add this item to your Silver Magpies gift registry! Find all the details here, just copy and paste this address into your browser: http://www.silvermagpies.com/gift-registry/
8. All photographs and descriptions © Silver Magpies. All rights reserved.
9. For a complete look at my shop policies click here - http://www.etsy.com/shop/SilverMagpies/policy?ref=shopinfo_policies