I made this bag from lusciously soft, supple, chocolate brown deer hide that was hunted in New York State and tanned in Gloversville, NY, three hours away from my in-home studio. The soft, orange leather is from a vintage deer hide (about 30 years old) that was hunted in the Finger Lakes Region of NY and custom tanned (although I do not know where it was tanned).
From start to finish, this bag was made completely by hand, without the use of electricity or machinery. I hand cut the leather, hand punch the holes, and then sew by hand with my trusty needle and thread :)
- Purse is an irregular, leaflike shape, and is about 14" deep, 13" wide.
- Strap is 41.5" long 1.75" wide. Purse was meant to be worn across the body with the purse on the right hip, but can also just be slung over the right shoulder.
- Large, rusty orange leather pocket inside.
- Magnetic brass snap closure.
- Hand sewn with brown thread.
- Hand made sugar maple wood button by Leigh Meehan at PymatuningCrafts (http://www.etsy.com/shop/PymatuningCrafts).
- Hand antiqued brass rivets.
- The insides of my leather products are unlined to showcase the beauty of both sides of a hide :)