Sorry, this item sold. You may also like:
This beautiful sponge holder is hand thrown from ceramic clay & glazed in layers of deep blue and seaweed green. It is hand designed with a special slip trailing technique. The texture beautifully breaks through the glaze to reveal the design. I always use lead-free, food safe glazes and high fire each piece in my kiln for durability.
Each one is completely made by hand so every piece has its own unique handmade character and may be slightly different sizes and shapes.
This listing is for one (1) sponge holder.
***HOW CERAMICS ARE MADE***
1. CLAY BODY IS FORMED
A potter can form his product in many ways. Two main ways are wheel throwing or hand building.
2. DRYING – 7-10 days. Clay must be left to completely dry before going into the kiln. If there is moisture left in the clay it may explode in the kiln. The clay shrinks as it dries.
3. SANDING – final finishing touches before firing
4. BISQUE FIRING- 24 hours. Ceramic pottery pieces are put in the kiln for the 1st firing. This is when the clay is turned into a stone. The kiln takes between 6-8 hours to reach about 1900 degrees. It takes about 12 hours to cool.
5. GLAZING – Glaze can be applied in many ways, poured on, sponged on, painted on, dipped, and sprayed.
6. FIRING- 24 hours. The pottery pieces go in the kiln for their last firing. This time the kiln temperature reaches about 2200 degrees. The glaze turns into a glass like coating and becomes one with the ceramic piece.
WRAPPING- Each item is carefully packaged in an Eco friendly gift box & a pretty string. Ready for gift giving to yourself or someone you love.