Raw giant-sized geometry from the ancient old growth Pacific Northwest forest.
Salvaged from a foot-and-a-half deep by nearly foot-wide beam in a turn-of-the-century Seattle warehouse.
Approximate overall dimension - 20" long x 13.25" wide x 16 to 20" high
Weight - About 65 pounds. Not light. True embodiment of massive. Likes to stay where you put it.
Old growth Douglas fir finished with locally produced tung oil and beeswax. Recycled raw steel preserved with matte enamel.
Could work as side table, but seems like the perfect coffee table. Plenty big without taking up a lot of real estate. Like a chunk of wooden anvil to gently set your cup against.
Each table is built to order and is slightly different, but all are old growth Douglas fir salvaged from Seattle warehouses.
The koan tables I'm making now are a series of 11 (several have already sold) from an early 1900s oxen barn in Seattle's SoDo Industrial District. Each table is approximately 20" long x 13.25" wide x 16" high. Please email/convo if you would like a different overall tabletop height. The wood is as beautiful as I've come across, in tone and proportion. The interior is a warm orange, with plenty of tight grain from when the forest had matured, deepened and the tree was growing more slowly. The top and short sides have oxidized over the years from simple exposure to the air, to a deep chocolate brown. I've burnished these sides, smoothed them, replenished with beeswax, they're rich to the touch.
Photos 1 - 4 show the current koan tables. The eleven in this series will be very similar. Photo 5 is an earlier koan.
BIRDLOFT ETHOS OF GREEN
All birdloft reclaimed materials are sustainably harvested in a big-hearted, biodiesel-breathing compact pickup truck. For biodiesel purists, please note - the biodiesel is 100 percent recycled. This is just one aspect of birdloft's ongoing effort to be awesome. More trumpeting can be had at www.birdloft.net/ethos.html
WHY FOREST KOAN
- a forest from before anyone living was born, that no longer exists, still breathes in this hundred-year-old industrial artifact.
- some liminal connection to the grains of dirt we come from.
- able to hold its form unendingly while channeling thousands of pounds of compressive forces to the ground, i.e., holds up the cityscape one warehouse at a time.
- last, won't slip away when you put your feet up to rest against it.
birdloft prides itself on its exceptional craft. Every piece is made with meticulous attention to detail and knowledge of how wood moves and breathes.
SHIPPING | TIME
*Quoted shipping is for the continental US. Hawaii, Canada and beyond by request.
*Please allow four to six weeks for delivery.
Thank you for looking.
To return to the shop, birdloft.etsy.com
forest koan coffee table with hairpin legs - reclaimed old growth, modern industrial - deep forest raw beauty
- Handmade item
- Materials: douglas fir, old growth, reclaimed wood, salvaged wood, shopsteam, hairpin legs, hair pin legs, recycled steel, locally produced tung oil, beeswax, wood and steel
- Feedback: 61 reviews
- Only ships within United States.