Close

Discussions

This topic has been closed.

The Chain Loophole - how can it be fixed?

Show Thread Summary

667 Responses

and I don't even have access to a video camera, so they'd have to disallow me from handmade?
If I glue feathers on my cat do I have a handmade bird?
Terri from Untwistedsister says

Briliant, simply brilliant, hehe
I think the logic or analogies of

1) Deborah Richardson from TinTeddy says
If I buy a Barbie doll, and a Barbie doll outfit, and put the outfit on the doll - do I then have a hand-made doll?

2)Megan MartinfromSpiceofLifeDesigns says
The rules seem designed to make an exception for the jewelry category - which also happens to be the largest category on Etsy..... If I put a commercial plate on a commercial plate hook - could I call it handmade wall art? How is that different from manufactured pendant on manufactured chain becoming a handmade necklace according to Etsy

3)Christopher Bright from ArtificerMade says
The only judgement I make is aimed at the rule that says packaging store bought soap in a store bought basket is a violation, but threading that same soap on a chain is legal. That rule is flawed.

4) paper anji from paperanji says
so an ugly misplaced button makes it etsy legal, but a useful one in a place it belongs makes it unacceptable.

5) Christopher Bright from ArtificerMade says
I can't sell store-bought belts OR Rustler Jeans. Yet if I put them both in the same picture they magically become etsy-legal? I can call it a single piece of jewelry all I like, I can call it a duck, but it's still two pieces of store-bought clothing! www.etsy.com/listing/96808438/waistline-adornment-hand-assembled
Terri from Untwistedsister says

-------

No, you would have a cat bird - very similar to a mockingbird now evolved into a mockingjay. And now you can be featured in the Etsy finds Hunger Games droolings!!

I say do it, and list it. Just expect it to sell, and you might lose your cat.
If you glue a candlestick to a plate does it become a pedestal cake plate?

If you apply paint to a canvas does it become a painting?

If you use a commercially purchased camera to snap a photo it is art?

If you apply fire to commercially produced clay does it become a ceramic?

This is not about the number items used in the product it is about the creative process, the vast majority of which occurs in the brain of the artist/crafts person. Obviously we do not need a lot of chain and charm in a bag combos here but if you are going to try to ban simple pendants overall you are throwing out the baby with the bath water. This thread has become a "my handmade is more handmade than your handmade rant" complete with calls for a "Cool Kids Table."
The rule etsy uses is "integral part". So anything that is fastened onto something else becomes handmade. An outfit on a doll is not an integral part. For the purposes of the charm on a chain, the theory is that a charm is not a complete item by itself.
Shelley from HooliganAlley says
This thread has become a "my handmade is more handmade than your handmade rant" complete with calls for a "Cool Kids Table."

==========

Respectfully, I disagree. Perhaps that's what you want to believe, and seeing some joking, and a couple of sellers' opinions, you ascribe those opinions to most of the other posters in this thread. That's not what's going on, nor the intent. So please don't continue to proclaim derailment. And far as the "Cool Kids Table" -- I expect none of us were there, or went through middle school before that became a phenomenon marked by a few. And we're adults now. and way too many on Etsy to fit at one table!

@ Brandi -- Your reminder of Etsy's words is good to keep in mind. However, as far as integral -- gift baskets are allowed if they contain at least one item handmade by the seller. Nothing is integral in that configuration. And there are others, I'm sure.

Remember, the discussion is about pre-attached, charm+chain necklaces -- they come into the sellers' hands and out, with nothing integral added. And just saying in a listing "I can change the chain length if you wish" does not confer handmade status on the preattached, already-assembled, necklace straight out of the baggie.

A charm is a supply by itself. And can be sold just fine in supplies without a chain. Most likely for the same price!
While I agree with you about a good deal of this...joking is out of place here

@ Brandi -- Your reminder of Etsy's words is good to keep in mind. However, as far as integral -- gift baskets are allowed if they contain at least one item handmade by the seller. Nothing is integral in that configuration. And there are others, I'm sure.

-------------------------------------
That's not true; ALL items must be handmade by the seller. As a shaving soap maker, I'm not even allowed to sell shaving brushes unless they are assembled and epoxied together by me (or vintage).

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.