Close

Discussions

This topic has been closed.

The Chain Loophole - how can it be fixed?

Show Thread Summary

667 Responses

@Swirlscape

what a good idea!
Really? The resellers that this thread is about are massively featured in treasuries, and their items and shops have lots and lots and lots of hearts. I would not ever rely on any kind of rating from the Etsy community for info before making a purchase. No way.
yeah, i guess i'm just naive (no cynicism intended)
@Deb Thanks. It didn't get a lot of love from the forum tonight, but I'm going to think about it some more. The main objection seems to be that a lot of similar systems designed to help with this kind of thing have been thoroughly gamed on various selling venues already. I don't think that means it would be impossible to design a system that would work to address some of these problems, but it seems like it may have to be made considerably more complex in order to prevent a lot of abuse.
Oh well, back to the drawing board...
Yeah, I guess it is naive to think that people would play fairly, I like to believe the best of people but I'm continually proven wrong :(
time to bring this up again? I was going to post in another thread but couldn't:

Resellers get by selling a commercially-bought pendant+chain through the Chain Loophole. That is, no one can prove that the chain that came with their wholesale-bought necklace was not added by them to a pendant. Or they can just switch the chains (when possible) from one wholesale-bought necklace to another, thus creating something "handmade" in Etsy terms. But to really do their handmade part, they take their own photographs! presto-handmade!

www.etsy.com/teams/7714/ideas/discuss/10054122/

But because so many have been called out, now many resellers are adding a bead to their wholesale-bought pendant+chain. However, it also seems that the manufacturers know that, so you'll see many items with the exact same value-added bead or charm. And, it seems, Etsy also considers those handmade, when the reseller shows some tools and a few spare beads and charms they claim to add to their resale necklaces.

Other massive resellers have a few that they've added that value-added bead to, but still show plenty that are just the plain out-of-the-baggie necklace. But since Etsy has passed them on the few value-addeds, it doesn't matter how many they also sell with no value added!
How is adding a bead and chain any different than slapping an ink stamp to a clothespin and adding a magnet on back any different? Is it, really, when you get down to it? I've done it and it is completely acceptable.

I think it's a slippery slope subject, and I'm glad it's not my decision to make. It sounds like it would be terribly difficult to try and weed out all of the resellers, without accusing some actual artists themselves.
I'm not condoning it. Don't get me wrong. My mother sells pendants and has seen her own creations be reused/sold with the added bead trick.
ElleJay from 20thCenturyKitchen says

"...but Etsy takes no proactive measures towards site integrity."

Not much doing on the reactive side either. Our flagging and reporting seems to disappear into the digital abyss. It's easier to write up a long list of assertions and hand us a box of kleenex than to actually deal with the problem.

I think it's shameful. I mean Etsy owns the place, take charge and bounce the resellers. If they are not resellers, make them prove themselves differently. There are too many shops suffering ( including me of course) because we have to compete alongside people who are cheating. Etsy takes so much care to protect each shop and quadrillion-check a shop before condemning them for reselling, but what about the rest of us who are not reselling. Where is the passion for the lost sales we must endure because you want to act so honorably to protect violators rights and due process when "investigating"? Is anyone investigating? I know we do it all the time FOR you and a lot of times it's a complete waste of time. It makes a mockery of the reporting system and us too.

If I were banned I could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I was the creator of my work. I would be happy, ecstatic, to do so, if it meant filtering out and doing away with shops who mislead buyers.

Things like reselling wholesale-purchased items that are handmade in far away places is a huge problem for shops like mine. No disclosures in shops that are blatantly operating at wholesale manufacturing capacities. Puke.
Amy Stevens from WoodYaCouldYa says
How is adding a bead and chain any different than slapping an ink stamp to a clothespin and adding a magnet on back any different? Is it, really, when you get down to it? I've done it and it is completely acceptable.

------

Just a little different.

Thing is, can you buy those ink-stamped-clothespins-with-magnets wholesale?

And that's the rub -- pendants-with-chains, as are seen on Etsy sold by resellers, are. I'll grant them "handmade" if they add that value-added bead. But do they get to have their whole shop of 290 straight-from-the-baggie necklaces fit through the Chain Loophole if they add a trinket to 10 of them? Because the other 290 are still blatantly resale, as attested by the myriad of other resellers selling the exact same chain+pendant, albeit photographed, perhaps, by themselves?

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.