Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Too big for your britches.

So, what with today being a day of protest and all, I've been doing a lot of thinking about what handmade means to me and I thought, for the sake of conversation I'd pose a question to those who have closed their shops in protest,to those who have kept their shops open and to those who have NO idea what's going on in the land of Etsy.

But before I ask my question, I feel I should explain first.

I'm a creative type. I'm the guy who has indigestion when thoughts of spending a life working "for the man" creep into my head. I'm the guy who sees his neighbor selling lemonade (however illegal it is these days) and considers ways in which I could sell lemonade better... or different. I'm the guy who understands the novelty of 'handmade' wore off soon after Etsy came on the scene and the accessibility of DIY crafts/producbebop came a mere click away. But I'm also the guy who feels like I should view the changes in the handmade marketplace as an opportunity to make my work better, more creative and more competitive.

So my question is as follows. Many a person has found success and financial freedom on Etsy. But, as any crafter knows, REAL success requires thinking about cost of goods, labor cost, overhead, listing fees, time spent sourcing wares, advertising etc.

We buy new tools, make connections and purchase wholesale. We cut costs where we can.

If there ever came a time we were able to produce the same products in our garage, still putting our hands on each item, by ordering wholesale, paying buyers to source materials, and buying presses, heavy duty sewing machines, assembly line type dryers and printers etc... would we (you) simply stop selling on Etsy out of respect for the unspoken limit of what "hand,are" means to the masses?!

60 Responses

I am a business.
Etsy is a business.
Etsy is not my business.
Etsy is a venue that I use.

I will grow my business as I see fit.
Etsy will do the same.

Should Etsy no longer provide the services that I need for my business, I will leave.
^^^that^^^
Jacque from facebodyfeet says

I am a business.
Etsy is a business.
Etsy is not my business.

Etsy will do the same.

Should Etsy no longer provide the services that I need for my business, I will leave.
=========================
I feel the same.
yes, because at that point, my own website would be hopping enough to do so

It'd also be cheaper to keep my own site rather than pay etsy fees

I'd still list my own handmade here, but it'd be the prototypes, and the bunches of other things I know how to do and like to do for a hobby

I am a business.
Etsy is a business.
Etsy is not my business.

Etsy will do the same.

========================================================

Well said.
Agree with Jacque...:)
My business existed long before I found Etsy, and this is no where near the biggest source of revenue for it.

I like this platform, I like have my shop here and I am glad I found Etsy.

I am dissappointed - as a buyer - that Etsy is not really what it implied it was. All this kerfuffle has put me off buying a bit, yes.

I am a business.
Etsy is a business.
Etsy is not my business.

Etsy will do the same.

-----------------------------------
this bears repeating, I agree 100%
Perfect, Jacque!

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.