Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Should I say something?

In another thread, someone mentioned that when they are at craft shows, they want to be left alone by the sellers.

I have tried both "Hello. If you have any questions, please let me know."

and

"Hello, My name is April and I have created everything in the booth. I am selling a nice variety of Silver or Copper Hoop Earrings, Wire Wrapped Stone Pendants, and Recycled Stained Glass Earrings (Which are Eco-friendly). If you have any questions, please feel free to ask."

I will be honest, I have had much better sales/conversations with the second scenario.

Which way has worked best for you, when you are selling your work?

55 Responses

I'd be interested to learn this as well. I'm planning my first craft show this year and, after much research, am pretty confident about almost every aspect of the process - except this one! It's funny, as a buyer, I know how I like to be approached by the seller, but it may differ for different customers.
Maybe it's my delivery or people in New England just prefer to be left alone, but the first scenario works best for me. And sometimes I just say nothing until the customer asks a question. I try to read body language and if someone doesn't make eye contact I take that to mean they want to be left alone.
I sell circles around other tables at craft fairs. Because I TALK to people. I don't give a flying crap if every other vendor around me is horribly tired of hearing my voice at the end of the day. Money TALKS ;-) I'm not pushy, but I don't take a back seat.
A friendly "Hello" should suffice unless they ask questions. It's rather annoying when sellers are hovering and jumping at every potential customer.
I just prefer a "hi" and then know that I can find them if I need them. I would let the customer initiate the conversation.
I say hello,,,maybe mention something like,,"is it still raining outside?" or, "i like your sweater" then I shut up till they say something to me.
I chat with the people near me when we are not busy. I always wait until the other seller is not busy to buy my goods. Everyone is different.
I prefer being left alone as well, but I think Jan's spot on about reading the body language of the customer and taking it from there. And as long as you're being friendly and helpful rather than pushy and over the top I'm sure you'll be just fine either way! :)

Agree with Jan, read body language.

For me personally as a customer, I would love to simply be greeted with a warm smile, that pretty much tells me that you're happy to answer any of my questions should I have any.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.