Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Does having a sale work?

Like buy one get on half off or percentage sales? I've never done one, and I usually avoid browsing shops with SALE in the title description or on the photo. I do look at clearance sections in shops though. Any feed back appreciated!

37 Responses

in my experience with my other shop, no, but I think everyone has a different experience. If you can afford to give the sale price, you may as well try it out and experiment
I can't afford a sale at this time, but I'm considering up my prices in the near future.
It depends on many things. First of all, are you priced well enough that you can afford to have a sale and still make a profit?

I've had many successful sales (and some not so successful) and I've found that surprise sales (with lots of promotion) work better than a periodic sale. You want people to feel a sense of urgency with buying, so make it a few days or for a short period of time.

Etsy on Sale works MUCH better for garnering sales than just a coupon code, I've found. Also what percentage you take off matters. It should be at least 20% (to gain interest) but no more than 40% unless you're doing clearance.

Make sure to promote! Facebook, twitter, etc.
I had a Christmas In July Sale and did not get any sales from it. However, some shops have a Sale and get many sales from it. Just depends on the shop I guess. Give it a try. I am going to try a sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday this year.... Etsyonsale is easy and effective for having a sale.
Thanks Brandi!
In my other shop when I have sales I don't really get any sales. I guess it might be timing maybe like a Black Friday sale,etc.
It has never worked for me. While I may get a bit more traffic, it never translated to sales. Actually the opposite happened. Sales died. I stopped the practice.

This was my experience, I know some that it has worked for well. It's hard to say until you give it a go.
I've had some successful and some not so much.

I think my international shoppers really liked the Free Shipping for July.

Just depends :) You win some you lose some, but just make sure that your prices are high enough that you can afford to do them!
NO sales with a sale and no sales without a sale....hmmmmm.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.