Close

Discussions

This topic has been closed.

reseller infestion part 2

I have a question, speaking of "reseller". I know of an Etsy Bridal shop. She is well established on Etsy. Is it against the rules to have a third party say in China or another country make all her things? She may have designed, but it very clear they are manufactured. I'm new and really are curious.

28 Responses

If they are registered as a collective, it is completely legal.
If Etsy has recognized the shop as a "collective" group, it can be legal.

If Etsy decided that hers is the maximum input/effort/control of the items, it might be legal.

If the items are being made and sent by the third-party in another country, it probably is NOT legal.

If you are not sure where the shop falls, report it with your reasons and evidence and let Etsy review and decide. Sometimes it helps.
Completely legal and completely depressing.

Edit: (unless they haven't divulged the info to Etsy as a 'collective')
Depends...if she states that she is working as a collective she may very well be legal.
www.etsy.com/help/article/483#production_assistance

specifically:
In etsy's Dos and Don'ts

Production assistance

Production assistance for certain intermediary tasks in some crafts may be acceptable. The following policies govern use of production assistance in the creation of handmade items:

An assistant, under the direct supervision of the seller, may: assist with a portion of the creation process, list items in a shop, ship items, communicate with buyers, accounting or other record keeping.
A third-party vendor may be used for intermediary tasks in some crafts. Acceptable examples include, but are not limited to: printing the seller's original artwork, metal casting from the seller's original mold, or kiln firing the seller's handcrafted ceramic work.
A third-party vendor may not fulfill your orders to your Etsy customers on your behalf (no drop-shipping).
An assistant or third-party vendor's involvement may not comprise a majority share of a handmade item's creation.
Listings that do not comply with Etsy's policies may be reported for review (see Flagging). Members who do not comply with Etsy's policies may be subject to review, which can result in suspension of account privileges and/or termination. If Etsy removes an item listing for violating Etsy policy, the seller is still obligated to pay the listing fee for that item. Suspended or terminated members remain obligated to pay Etsy for all unpaid fees per our Terms of Use.

That situation is one of the gray areas. I would say absolutely not! how is that in the "spirit of etsy"? But, depending on the situation, admin may have given this a green light. That is one of the issues I have as well. How is that different from Miley Cyrus designing for Walmart?
This is very interesting. It's a shame that it is o.k. I don't think the shop I'm thinking of right off the bat is not being assisted. I think "they" are making it and she is the store front.
O.k. this is embarrassing but I feel Like "Wendy Pepper" from Project Runway when it was obvious that "Doll House" made Karison's shoes.
all or any Project Runway references welcome!
The important thing to note is that etsy is NOT enforcing their dos and don'ts nor are they informing us sellers clearly about what is and isn't acceptable.

Having said that, for most part I have a head-in-the-sand approach. But not sure I can stand it much longer, Captain!

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.