Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

"Notice Left" on USPS tracking

I always check my orders to make sure my customers receive them, and I was baffled when I saw that one of them was not marked delivered on the 20th, but rather says "Notice Left". I've contacted the customer and currently awaiting response, but I was wondering if anyone has ever had this happen before?

The package was sent in an 8x10 bubble mailer with no sig required. My guess is that if the mailbox was too small for the package, it was sent to the post office.

I also noticed that I was off an ounce in reporting the weight for the shipping label (meaning I didn't include the weight of the mailer). I'm worried if it's being kept at the post office for this reason and that the customer would have to pay the difference in order to receive it, AFTER having already paid for the shipping in the first place.

7 Responses

If the post office has determined that there is insufficient postage then yes, the buyer will have to pay the difference before they are able to pick it up. That could very well be why it's being held at the post office instead of left in the customer's mailbox.
Let your customer know your error, be clear you will pay, then offer a nice discount for the inconvenience.
That's what I would do.
You should contact the customer directly and let them know that you will pay the overage if that is the case. They might not be too happy if they have to go to the post office to pick it up so you might be prepared for that by offering a discount or ? ;-(
yep....they are holding it for them to come and pay the difference.
I just had one going to a PO Box and I'm pretty sure the reason the details said "notice left" is because it would fit. It wasn't that big, but those PO boxes can be small.

I sent an email to the buyer with a friendly reminder that a notice was left for them and that the package is at the post office waiting to be picked up. Of course. I knew the postage was correct so that wasn't going to be an issue.

I heard back from the customer later that evening at which time I was told they were out of town for a few days and would pick it up upon returning. After pick up, the del conf shows delivered.

IF it is being held for postage due, you obviously should apologize and issue an immediate refund for the difference. A second nice gesture for their inconvenience of having to wait in line to pay/pick up/etc might be to send a coupon code. It will all be ok, just be upfront with the customer and they should be understanding.
Thank you all for your responses. I sent a convo and an email to the buyer, so I'm just waiting to hear back from there... arrghhh...
Notice left can mean many things...
-Underpaid shipping: contact the buyer, be apologetic, and reimburse them for the difference (plus a dollar or two extra for the inconvenience).
-Package too big to fit in their mailbox
-They live in an apartment with no mailboxes/lock boxes so the mail person automatically leaves notices for any packages (I've had this happen to me a few times - it's a courtesy on the part of the post office and the recipients all know to expect this)

It sounds like you've got everything covered by e-mailing and sending a convo (and being willing to reimburse overages on shipping). Hope everything works out!

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.