Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

USPS - Orginating post is preparing to dispatch

Please can someone tell me exactly what this means - regarding international shipment into US.

I ship from South Africa and always send registered mail with tracking.
I will send something out and only about 1 week later I am able to track it on USPS and will get the message
"We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece."

Now I know this does not mean my original post office in South Africa is still preparing to dispatch (Because if it hadn't reached the USA yet, there would be no tracking whatsoever on usps)

Often I will get a really concerned customer who will see this tracking info and assume I have not even shipped the parcel when I said I had shipped a week ago.

Currently dealing with someone who's parcel is late. I shipped it 2.5 weeks ago- but the customer believes I have not shipped it yet - and all I can think is that this message means that the Post office that was the original point of entry for my parcel in the US is preparing it to dispatch..

Anyone know anything about this? Please help, so I know what to tell my customers in future - because this tracking info does sound very deceiving!

Thanks
Vikki

2 Responses

Hi Vikki,
I was also wondering this and just made a search on google. Here is what I found:

"It means that the item is already in the country to which it was sent to. So, if you had ordered something from Canada, and you live in the United States, it means that the item is already in the United States and is preparing to be shipped by the USPS. Origin Post is a company that takes the items from overseas and sorts them. "
aaahhh - you're a STAR !!!! :))
Why did I not think to just google haha

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.