Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Pinterest should be an option for each seller to choose

Show Thread Summary

101 Responses

Mary from SEOWebDesign says Edited on Feb 28, 2012
Following the first rash of articles about Pinterest's Terms of Use, Pinterest created this piece of code that can be added to the header of every web page.

<meta name="pinterest" content="nopin" />

With this code in place, Pinterest will not allow the pinning of any item on that Web page, whether by widget button like we have on every Etsy page or by the little "pinning" icon that can be added to the web browser.

Etsy could add this code to every page of ever shop, allowing Etsy sellers to opt out of Pinterest if they choose. Only Etsy has access to that part of the Web page to make this change.

Pinterest said they would not pin any item on any web page that has this piece of code.
--------------------------

I agree. I would love for Etsy to give the option. It would allow for more control over our own content and pinners a quick way to find out if the person is cool with Pinterest or not.
I just deleted my account yesterday, I was pinning like a crazy person and had no idea that Pinterest (or anyone else I guess) could use images I posted for their own gain. I pinned tons of photos and artwork that I hearted. In these tough economic times we have to be so much more wary of scams and con artists, especially on the internet. So, waaah, good-bye pinterest! Thanks Mary for bringing this to our attention.
ughh, I'm not liking what I'm reading about Pinerest.

I'm not sure I fully understand the backlinking part, where it can actually compete with our own standings in search engines and Google, but that doesn't sound good at all. Maybe someone can explain that to me better.

I'm at a lose right now, but I think in the interim here Etsy should definetly offer it as an option. I'm not sure I want my stuff pinned yet I have no control over that, worrisome.
I'm sorry but this copy right stuff sometimes gets completely out of hand....just like hollywood and their movie krap. If you put something on the internet someone somewhere is bound to steal your ideas, your images etc. It's always been like that....watermark your pictures if you think your work is so prescious and original that people are just dying to steal it and copy it. I for one find pinterest is a great concept and those images have led me to so many people and websites that i wouldn't have otherwise met that i now pin my work there. Somebody wants to steal the image or idea and put in all the work i do creating it and promoting it i say go for it because that tells me that people obviously thought my work interesting enough to copy and talk about. I'll make more.
Serena from SerenaSmithLampwork says
if you are not the copyright holder, how can you legally transfer the copyrights to a third party without involving the copyright holder in any way shape or form?

excellent point.
jeanfromjmayoriginals says

if you are not the copyright holder, how can you legally transfer the copyrights to a third party without involving the copyright holder in any way shape or form?

excellent point.

____

but isn't that exactlly the issue or problem? You can't, but when uploaded to Pinnerest you have done just that which would be illegal

Linda, sometimes its helpful to look at the bigger picture, beyone your own experience.
Member Content

We may, in our sole discretion, permit Members to post, upload, publish, submit or transmit Member Content. By making available any Member Content through the Site, Application or Services, you hereby grant to Cold Brew Labs a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free license, with the right to sublicense, to use, copy, adapt, modify, distribute, license, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, stream, broadcast, access, view, and otherwise exploit such Member Content only on, through or by means of the Site, Application or Services.

Etsy TOS
License: Etsy does not claim ownership rights in your Content. You grant Etsy a license solely to enable Etsy to use any information or Content you supply Etsy with, so that Etsy is not violating any rights you might have in that Content. You grant Etsy a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise the copyright, publicity, and database rights (but no other rights) you have in the Content, in any media now known or not currently known, with respect to your Content. You agree to allow Etsy to store or re-format your Content on Etsy and display your Content on Etsy in any way as Etsy chooses. Etsy will only use personal information in accordance with Etsy's Privacy Policy.

www.etsy.com/help/article/479?ref=ft_terms

You have already given Etsy the right to use your content wherever they want on the web, so by agreeing to Etsy's terms, you have already opted in.
loopy from loopyboopy says Edited on Feb 28, 2012

jeanfromjmayoriginals says

excellent point.

____

but isn't that exactlly the issue or problem? You can't, but when uploaded to Pinnerest you have done just that which would be illegal.....

---------------------

just because someone CAN doesn't mean that the copyright holder has given up all rights to their own material just because someone has linked to it using a web site. like i said before, that seems to obviate any copyrights.

one easy test would be to find an image of yours on pinterest, tell them to take it down because you own the copyright and did not give permission (it would have to be an item that in not in your etsy shop because i think the pin button might give permission), and see if they take it down. maybe someone has tried this?
Loopy...As a business person i've been looking at the bigger picture for years.
I do agree that you should have the choice of whether you want to be pinned or not. So use the code given by Sarah in your headers.
<meta name="pinterest" content="nopin" />

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.