Sorry, this item sold. Have Leatherartworks make something just for you, or try these other items:
This offer is for a handmade Doctor Plague leather mask. The mask is black with metal goggly eyes and has clear plastic lenses. The mask is made using a single piece of leather which has been moulded and hardened. It has black 3mm leather thonging for tying and a leather strap going over the head for stability. All my masks are signed. The pictures are of the actual mask.
I pride myself on the quality of my work and use only professional materials designed specifically for leather. All my masks are also treated on the inside to prefent stains from moisture. The mask will be sent in a box, securely packed.
THE HISTORY OF THE MASK
During the period of the Black Death and the Great Plague of London, plague doctors visited victims of the plague to verify whether they have been afflicted or not. They were mostly unqualified. Most qualified doctors had left the city to avoid being afflicted. Their outfit consisted of a wide brimmed hat to show that the man was a doctor, beaked mask to protect the face, the beak stuffed with herbs, spices and perfumes to "purify" the air that the doctor breathed, crystal "eyes" to "protect" the eyes, wooden stick to push away victims who would get too close to him, leather gloves to protect the hands, linen gown waxed from the exterior, and full length leather boots. It was believed at the time that the plague was spread through the air, not through the fleas living on the black rat, hence the herbs, spices and perfumes in their beaked mask. The waxed clothing may have helped prevent fleas latching on, and the clothing also prevented droplet infection.
Postage to the UK is £3.50 (1st class 1-2 days), postage to the US is £8.00 (Airsure Small Packages 5-10 days), elsewhere please contact me for postage price. I always obtain proof of postage. Please note that delivery times cannot be guaranteed and I cannot be held responsible for postal delays or any other postal problems.
THE MAKING OF THE MASK
· The mask has been sculpted using traditional techniques.
· The leather has been shaped using fingers and some hand tools
· The leather is strengthened to better retain its shape
· The inside of the mask has moisture repellent treatment
· There are about 20 individual steps to complete a mask
· Full-grain vegetable tanned cowhide - the highest quality leather
· Professional leather acrylic paint
· Flexible leather varnish
· 3mm black leather thonging for tying
· brass rings for the eyes
The leather mask retains some flexibility and will fit most adult shapes and sizes of head. If an edge feels uncomfortable, gently move it using only fingers.
HOW TO CARE FOR THE MASK
· The mask does not require any treatment of conditioning
· Sweating will not damage the mask but never wash, soak or wear it in the rain! If the mask does get wet, you will have to recreate the shape, support it and allow it to dry naturally
· To clean the mask, wipe it with a soft dry cloth
I hope the wearer will be happy with the design and quality!
- Listed on Apr 22, 2012
- 12 views
- Add item to treasury