Find something you love
There's so much more for you to discover
Learn More About Chain Wallets
A chain wallet is a money holder with a chain, typically made out of metal, that clips to a belt or belt loop. It makes for a rugged look and helps keep the wallet safe from theft, loose pockets, and forgetful minds.
Long before the invention of pockets, wallets began as bags made of animal skin for our ancestors to store valuable items. In the early years, these items included food, trade objects, and hunting supplies, which they hung around their necks. When everything wanted to eat you, these bags were useful—and even life-saving—to have on hand and carry on long distances. As humans began minting coins, people kept their money in special bags, and by the Renaissance era, the modern wallet concept was in full swing.
Wallets with chains arrived on the scene in the 1950s, when motorcyclists began using biker chain wallets to help prevent valuable items from flying out on the road. Rockers, punks, and grunge lovers adopted the biker chain wallets, and they became all the rage in the ‘90s. Many people prefer chain wallets for their style and security.
Etsy shops sell a variety of handmade and vintage chain wallets. Here are some of the most popular types.
- Biker chain wallets: These often have a tri-fold design and are rugged in appearance with sturdy links that pair well with a leather jacket.
- Leather chain wallets: Both stylish and durable, leather wallets can have either metal chains or a chain made of braided leather, which is more lightweight and less noticeable against your leg.
- Persian weave chain wallets: Featuring a decorative woven chain, these wallets have an eye-catching look.
- Double chain wallets: Amp up your style with a double chain or even a triple chain wallet that offer a striking cascading effect.
- Chainmail wallet: A different take on the chain wallet, a chainmail wallet is a pouch for your cards and cash that’s crafted out of chainmail, like something out of medieval times.
- Bicycle chain wallet: Unique items like bicycle chains or nuts and bolts add themes to your wallet and show off some extra personality while you whip out your credit card.