There's so much more for you to discover
Learn More About Jewelry Making & Beading
Since their earliest days, people have been adorning themselves with jewelry to enhance their appearances. In prehistoric times, hunter-gatherers fashioned cords from plant fiber and animal sinew as well as pendants and charms from animal bones and clay beads.
Materials have continued to advance ever since, replacing plant and animal fibers with finely crafted chains of precious metals. Likewise, painted beads gave way to gems and semi-precious stones. With such innovations, only a few people had the skills to make jewelry or work with gems.
Today, jewelry-making is open to everyone. On Etsy, explore beginner's kits and how-to guides to start creating your own jewelry.
The right jewelry making tools make all the difference as you begin creating your own wearable art. Depending on the type of jewelry you’re making, these tools are a great starting point:
- Start with a good work area, complete with a bench and accessories.
- Tools for measuring, tweezers of various sizes, and other precision instruments help you manipulate tiny beads and ornaments.
- Magnification tools and task lighting help you see what you're doing on intricate work, such as using engraving tools to add fine details to your pieces.
- If you're planning to use precious stones and cabochons, explore supplies for metalworking, cutting, and setting and shaping.
- Abrading tools, such as burs and files smooth away rough spots and sharp edges.
- Complete your work with finishing and polishing tools that leave your pieces with a lustrous glow.
Beaders use an array of base materials from precious and semiprecious stones to seashells, metal, wood, plastic, and glass.
A bead loom provides a framework in which to place beads evenly and holds pieces in place so beads don't spill. Using cord or lacing, a caddy of beads, and some findings, you can create pieces in your very own style.