Permits/Licenses for selling Food goods

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately...

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.


What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.

Sign in to participate in this discussion.


GoTo says

Me too cottagelinens.

In one critique I mentioned that to a food seller, and he said he was all licensed and inspected and he thought that saying his kitchen was "clean and professional grade" was sufficient. I let him know that as a buyer, it wouldn't be, but he liked it that way and wouldn't consider adding that he had met all the legal requirements... go figure!

Posted at 5:25pm Sep 10, 2010 EDT

GoTo - Then I hope he is also happy with his sales. I would think there would be a lot of people who won't buy unless it states up front that they have the proper requirements. Personally I wouldn't even ask. I just would find someone else to buy from.

Posted at 6:14pm Sep 10, 2010 EDT

GoTo says

Yup, I'd just move on too. Asking about it, I wouldn't be confident that I was just being given a line because I asked if they said they were licensed.

I wonder if he ever decided it wasn't such a bad idea....

Posted at 7:13pm Sep 10, 2010 EDT

btw, there are strict requirements for pet snacks as well after the CHina melamine pet food problem.
two things I wouldn't sell: food, kids jewelry.
if you do any craft fairs, it's a good idea to have personal liability insurance. again, I"d not be in biz w/o it...

Posted at 7:18pm Sep 10, 2010 EDT

GoTo says

Excellent point goldenwatercreations--our pets need protection too so I'm glad to hear that.

Posted at 7:24pm Sep 10, 2010 EDT

I can't imagine someone getting upset over a request for kitchen certification. I am a lupus patient on immune inhibitors and have been made sick by something sold on the counter at a stop-n-go. When asked where they were made I was told the owners mom makes them at home.. Not OK. Too bad this was after the fact.

I would buy food made here if I knew it was in a certified commercial kitchen by somone who knows food safety. We had a catering Company before I got sick and I know the hoops you have to jump through and why. When I had to take the Food Managers certification classes/tests I learned things I would rather not know about food safety. There are rules for a reason...if you know them and abide by them I am all for selling on Etsy. I think small business is a grand thing.

BTW.. sometimes you can rent day/morning space at a restaurant that only serves in the evenings. You can get certified with the department of health using their location as a separate business. I know some people who have done this for cake baking.

Good luck to anyone wanting to try.

Posted at 3:15pm Oct 2, 2010 EDT

There are only a handful of states that allow baking from home. Texas right now isn't one of them, though I know some cake girls that have a bill before congress (?) to change that law. I used to have a home-based cookie biz so I know how lucky I am to live in Ohio where it is legal. I was legal under the cottage food laws, but I couldn't ship over state lines; that required a different and more pricy license with different rules. There are ways to go about it though. You can try looking for a commercial kitchen and rent time. Sometimes churches have legal kitchens.

Posted at 3:26pm Oct 2, 2010 EDT

This is why I would never sell my delicious cookies online. Sorry folks!

Posted at 4:45pm Oct 2, 2010 EDT

I do wish those that were licensed/legal would say so in their profiles.

Posted at 4:47pm Oct 2, 2010 EDT

Every state's laws vary. In my state, I can prepare food in my home (if inspected & licensed) and sell it directly to you out of the back of my truck, but not online.

Posted at 5:02pm Oct 2, 2010 EDT