Setting up a Shop
Welcome to selling on Etsy! This guide will walk you through setting up your shop and adding your first listings. For more details about getting started on Etsy, check out this Help article.
Sign up to Sell
Start by clicking on the Sell on Etsy link at the top right of the site, or visit this link. If you've already started setting up a shop in the past, click Your Shop to continue.
You'll be asked to select your shop’s language, country, and currency.
- Shop language: The language you choose is the default language you use to describe your items. You won't be able to change it later, but if you’d like to add translations in other languages, you will be able to enroll in other languages after opening your shop. Read more about your shop language.
- Shop country: Be sure to select the correct country for your shop. Some seller tools are only available in certain countries at this time.
- Shop currency: Choose the currency you will use to price your listings. Currency conversion fees may apply if your bank's currency is different from your shop currency. You'll be able to change your currency, but only after you open your shop. Learn more about setting your currency.
You’ll also be asked to select whether selling your products is your full-time job or part-time job. This question is for informational purposes only and will not affect the setup of your shop.
Choose Your Shop Name
Choose a memorable name that reflects your style. Shop names must meet the following requirements:
- 4-20 characters in length
- No spaces or special characters
- No profanity
- Not already in use by an existing Etsy member
- Does not infringe on another's trademark
If you see a message that the name you want is already in use, keep in mind the name may not appear in Search. Searching on Etsy isn't an effective way to see if a name is free.
If the shop name you entered is in use, you will see suggestions for other shop names that are still available.
Your shop name will be held for you while you open your shop.
Stock Your Shop
Add your first items — you’re almost ready for your big shop debut! Learn about adding a listing.
How You'll Get Paid
Select the payment methods you want to offer in your shop. Your options are:
The main way to get paid on Etsy! Offer your buyers the ability to pay via:
- Credit/debit cards
- Etsy gift cards
- Apple Pay
- iDEAL (buyers in the Netherlands)
- Sofort (buyers in Austria and Germany)
This option is currently available to shops in these countries.
Direct Checkout is available in these countries. If you're a new seller located in one of these countries, you'll need to sign up for Direct Checkout to receive your Etsy funds. When using Direct Checkout, Etsy will deposit these funds directly into your bank account.
PayPal Without Direct Checkout:
If you’re in a country that is not eligible for Direct Checkout, you’re welcome to use your own PayPal account to accept payments. Learn about signing up for PayPal.
Check or Money Order:
If you use a payment method that needs to be mailed to you, select Payment by Mail on the Accepted Payments page and select Money Order and/or Check. The address you enter will only be shared with a buyer who purchases from you and chooses this method.
This means you have another way of accepting payment. Be sure to include information and instructions about your payment method in your listings and shop policies.
Set Up Billing:
Depending on which country you're in, you may need to enter a credit card to open your shop. The card should be a
- American Express
- Carte Bleue (France)
Both credit and debit cards with these card company logos should work.
We ask sellers in certain countries to keep a credit card on file as a means of identity verification.
Your card information is secure with Etsy, and you are welcome to pay your bill via PayPal if you’d prefer.
Sellers located in Austria, Germany, and the Netherlands are not required to have a credit card on file.
Note: If you’ve previously used your Etsy account to buy on Etsy, you may see the credit card(s) you’ve used pre-populated. You may select from an existing card, or add a new card.
Members in some countries can open a shop with a PayPal account. If you can do this, you'll see a Authorize PayPal Account button.
Open Your Shop
When you finish all the sections and enter in your billing information, click Open Your Shop on the bottom of the last section. You'll still be able to edit your shop after it's open.
Congratulations! Your shop is now open!
The web address to get to your shop will be:
Other Help Articles
Continuing Your Shop Setup
Tips for Success