Purchasing an Item
You must create an account with us in order to make a purchase on Etsy.
When you buy on Etsy, you're purchasing from an individual shop. If you have any questions about an item or order, reach out to the seller.
We also recommend reviewing our Introduction to Buying on Etsy.
Step 1: Add an Item to Your cart
When you find an item you want to buy, follow these steps:
1.) Click Add to cart on the item listing page.
2.) If the item you want to purchase has options to choose from -- like size, color, or shape -- you will have to select each option before you can add it to your cart.
Access your cart at any time by clicking the cart icon at the top right of the site. From there, proceed to purchase or continue shopping.
You can add multiple items from different Etsy shops to your cart.
Step 2: Add Order Details
In your cart, you can select a shipping destination, review the cost of the item, or change the quantity you'd like to purchase, if the seller has more than one available.
Be sure to check the listing description to see if the seller requests any specific information from you.
If there's anything you need to tell the seller, type in the Add an optional note to seller box.
If you have a coupon code, click Apply shop coupon code and then Apply after entering your code.
Proceed to checkout when you're ready.
Step 3: Select Payment Method
It's up to each seller what payment methods they accept, so you may see different payment methods in different shops.
The seller may offer one or more of the following:
- Credit card: If you'd like to pay with a credit card, select the option showing the major credit card logos. The logos shown may vary by country.
Note: You may see a pending transaction on your credit card bill for a small amount. This is a pre-authorization test to ensure your card is valid. Once your card has been validated, it will be dropped from your statement.
- Etsy gift card: If you have an Etsy gift card balance, the option to pay with that balance will automatically be selected. Deselect the box if you'd prefer not to use your balance. Learn more about redeeming and applying an Etsy gift card.
- Apple Pay: Apple Pay is a mobile payment service available to iOS buyers in Australia, Canada, France, Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland, the UK, and the US who are shopping on the mobile app.
- PayPal: If you choose to pay through PayPal (or with a credit card through PayPal's Guest Checkout feature), you will be redirected to a secure PayPal page and then back to Etsy to confirm the order.
Note: If the seller accepts credit cards directly, the credit card logos will appear separately from the PayPal logo. If they only accept credit cards through PayPal, the credit card logos will appear on the same line as the PayPal logo.
- Check or Money order: You'll be given the seller's mailing address after you purchase the order.
- Other: This means the seller has some other way of accepting payment. Review the Shipping & Policies tab on a listing and contact the seller to work out the payment.
Step 4: Submit Your Order
You'll have a chance to review your information before submitting your order.
If needed, you can choose a different shipping address by clicking the Change link.
To complete the process, click Submit order. When paying via credit card directly on Etsy, Etsy gift card, or PayPal, payment is submitted at the time you place the order.
You will see a confirmation that your order is complete.
You've just made a purchase on Etsy. Etsy will send an email to you and the shop.
You can view your order information and access your downloads by going to You > Purchases and reviews.
Note: If you’re purchasing a digital file that's available for instant download, you’ll receive a separate email with a download link. The link will redirect you to the order’s Downloads page, where you can access your purchased files while signed in to your account. Learn more about downloading digital purchases.
Shopping internationally? Learn how currency conversion works on Etsy.