A trademark is a word, name, symbol or device (or a combination of those items) that identifies the goods or services of a person or company and distinguishes them from the goods and services of others. The word “Etsy” and other Etsy graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, scripts, and service names (together, the “Etsy Marks”) are registered trademarks, trademarks or trade dress of Etsy, Inc., in the U.S. and/or other countries.
Why must Etsy protect the Etsy Marks? Etsy must be to able assure Internet users and others that only the services offered, sponsored, or endorsed by Etsy actually bear the Etsy Marks. Trademark law requires that we not only protect against improper use of the Etsy Marks, but also protect against the use of confusingly similar marks.
Using the Etsy Marks
Here are our rules for using the Etsy Marks:
We support and encourage using the Etsy Marks in the following ways:
- Make fair use of Etsy’s Marks. Etsy supports free speech and you do not need permission to make legitimate commentary about Etsy, the company, or Etsy’s services. For example, if you sell on Etsy, it’s fine to let people know that.
- Distinguish the Etsy Marks from surrounding text by, for example, capitalizing the first letter of the Etsy Marks.
- Spell the Etsy Marks properly.
We do not permit the following uses of the Etsy Marks:
- Incorporating the Etsy Marks or a confusingly similar mark into, for example, the name of your business, organization, non-profit organization, event, or trademark.
- Removing, altering, distorting or modifying the Etsy Marks, including adding other terms to the Etsy Marks to create new words.
- Using the Etsy Marks or a confusingly similar mark in a way that falsely implies a relationship or affiliation with, sponsorship, or endorsement by Etsy, Inc. or that can be reasonably interpreted to suggest information comes from, or represents the views or opinions of Etsy, Inc. or an Etsy employee.
- Using the Etsy Marks in a product unless we’ve given you our permission in writing. Click here for information about applying for a license to use an Etsy Mark in connection with a product.
- Using any trademarks, service marks, trade dress, designs or logos that are confusingly similar to the Etsy Marks or the look and feel of the Etsy website.
- Using the Etsy Marks in any way or on any website that contains or promotes adult content, gambling, or otherwise violates applicable law or regulation.
- Using the Etsy Marks in a manner that is in Etsy’s sole opinion misleading, unfair, defamatory, infringing, libelous, disparaging, tarnishing, obscene or otherwise objectionable to Etsy.
Last updated on Jul 29, 2015