***This chair will be built to order, typical lead time is six to eight weeks***
Frame: Oregon Black Walnut
Upholstery: Maharam’s Divina by Kvadrat #893 (100% wool)
Dimensions: 29”W x 32”D x 29”H
Seat height: 16”
Seat depth: 20”
Arm height: 21”
So initially it was my intention to credit the designer whose work inspired this particular piece, but to be quite frank, I’m not entirely sure who made this chair first. This style had at least a dozen popular permutations throughout the fifties and sixties, so when asked to pay homage I’m tempted to point a finger at Ib Kofod-Larsen, Folke Ohlsson, Poul Jensen, and several others who produced furniture for Dux and Selig at the time. The sculpted arms, the backward pitch of the legs, the tufted cushions, and the clean simple geometry of the frame were all hallmarks of the midcentury originals. In any event, the most I can say is that this design is not my own, but was born from my mottled recollection of a great many other glorious chairs. I might be a bit fuzzy on the details, but if anything about it is noteworthy, credit assuredly belongs elsewhere.
The one individual who most decidedly did contribute to the making of this chair is a gentleman by the name of Steve. Steve is a Chicago building contractor who provided me with a truckload of hardwood timbers that he’d salvaged from one of his renovation projects. Instead of ending up in a landfill, that lumber was incorporated into more than a dozen furniture pieces, including the original prototypes for this chair. Although that lumber has now all been put to use, “the Steve” is still made entirely from salvage and hazard lumber. It’s shown here in locally sourced Black Walnut, and can be made in other species as resources permit (if you’re looking for something specific, contact me to check availability). The frame is treated with a hand-rubbed oil and wax finish, giving the wood beautiful depth and luster.
Shown here in Maharam’s Divina Melange by Kvadrat #893, this chair can also be built in a vibrant palette of colors. All fabrics are traditional 100% wool upholstery felt and swatches are available by request. For a truly custom option, buyers are more than welcome to provide their own fabric. For each chair I need 2.5 yards of fabric with no less than a 54-inch width, and the only requirements are that the fabric be medium to heavy in weight (please contact me if you'd like to use fabric with a repeating pattern, additional yardage and fees may be required. No leather please).
(manufacturer, fabric name, color)
1. Knoll Textiles, Knoll Felt in Canary
2. Knoll Textiles, Knoll Felt in Tangerine
3. Knoll Textiles, Knoll Felt in Poppy
4. Knoll Textiles, Knoll Felt in Rouge
5. Knoll Textiles, Knoll Felt in Pink
6. Knoll Textiles, Knoll Felt in Cadet
7. Knoll Textiles, Knoll Felt in Baltic
8. Knoll Textiles, Knoll Felt in Green
9. Knoll Textiles, Knoll Felt in Ivory
10. Knoll Textiles, Knoll Felt in Grey
11. Knoll Textiles, Knoll Felt in Smoke
12. Knoll Textiles, Knoll Felt in Carob
13. Maharam, Divina by Kvadrat #662 (fuchsia)
14. Maharam, Divina by Kvadrat #893 (peacock) *PICTURED*
15. Maharam, Divina Melange by Kvadrat #120 (light grey)
16. Maharam, Divina Melange by Kvadrat #170 (dark grey)
17. Maharam, Divina Melange by Kvadrat #260 (brown)
18. Maharam, Divina Melange by Kvadrat #671 (dark violet)
19. Maharam, Divina Melange by Kvadrat #731 (sky blue)
20. Maharam, Divina Melange by Kvadrat #931 (lime green)
SHIPPING – This item will be crated and shipped to your door via Motor Freight anywhere in the continental United States. Canadian buyers may contact me with their postal code to discuss shipping options. Local delivery to the Portland area (within 30 miles of 97213) is also available and free of charge. The quality of craftsmanship is guaranteed, and all parcels are insured against loss or damage in transit.