From Turban to Toe Ring, DIY belly dance costuming book by Dawn Devine aka Davina
From Turban to Toe Ring
by Dawn Devine ~ Davina
From Turban to Toe Ring is a guide for designing and making tribal-fusion belly dance wear. This style, which originated in the San Francisco dance community and has spread world-wide, is fast becoming one of the most popular costuming options. Tribal-fusion costuming is an assemblage of design elements pulled from many different tribal, rural, and nomadic peoples from North Africa, across the Near and Middle East, and as far away as India. Surface design techniques, articles of clothing, and jewelry components are fused together to create a look that blends all of these items into an exciting and uniquely individual image for each dancer.
This book will be an excellent reference source for the libraries of dancers, costume designers, historical re-enactors, and dancers who want a break from the high glitz and glamour of cabaret-style costuming.
"From Turban to Toe Ring" contains numerous hints, tips, and directions for making, designing, and assembling a tribal-fusion costume, including:
• A country-by-country breakdown of tribal jewelry styles from the Berber people of Morocco to the Ribari of India.
• Pattern making directions for several different choli and salwar designs.
Directions for traditional surface embellishments, including applique and shi-sha.
• Mehndi (or henna), from mixing the paste to creating your design.
• Adapting Indian textiles, such as the toran and chakla, for tribal-fusion dance wear.
• Extensive bibliography and guide to historical research of Middle Eastern costume.
There was a problem calculating your shipping. Please try again.
130 reviews5 out of 5 stars
I am so glad to have finally bought this book, one of Dawn's in her excellent series. It is so well written, and explains pretty much everything you need to know about Tribal based Oriental and Middle-Eastern clothing and costuming. Can't wait to get the entire collection of her books! Well done!
I think I am all caught up on her books now :-)
Photos from reviews