I haven't made a cloth doll in a while, it's been polymer, apoxie, and puppets for a while now. I had an itch to costume extravagantly and that's how this one came about.
I was browsing some Venice Carnival photos on a website I stumbled on and started doing some drawings based on some pink and yellow striped silk fabric I bought on etsy. It was only a small remnant but I couldn't resist it! It's been sitting here trying to inspire me to do something with it for about 7 months now...lol and finally!
I didn't take a whole lot of photos of the process but you might be able to get the gist. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
When I costume I don't sew the clothes from a pattern, I pin and cut and sew directly on the doll. This means that none of the costume is removable...which is as it should be because my dolls are not play things.
For head adornment, I decided to have two cones wrapped in fibers and ribbons as her actual hair style then covered that with a hat. The cones are made with card stock and glued to the head. I then wrapped a violet scarf around her forehead. Then wrapped the fibers around that. I stitched and glued everything in place. And then started work on the hat.
I made a card stock pattern and I cut two - a top, and a lining. I covered them both with a yellow-gold fabric. Then I covered the top cardboard with a gold-wire mesh ribbon stitching it across the back. I then glued on the lining. Once the hat was in place I could start embellishing that. I added a violet and gold piping around the top, a violet stripe down the center (which covered some of the inevitable gathering when I applied the gold ribbon) and then I started beading...and beading.
You may have seen this doll in Adele Scortino's Figurative Artists Newsletter. I took a couple of her costuming classes and submitted it when she requested dolls in Maquerade costumes.
She's 18" tall including her base.