Fred Mangel's Profile
So . . . why do I make jewelry with niobium and titanium instead of gold and silver?
• Niobium and titanium are quite beautiful. In their natural state they are both a lustrous silvery gunmetal gray. In addition they both can be annodized into a plethora of rainbow colors.
• Niobium is easily cold forged, shaped, and cut. It is similar to medium silver in strength and weight.
• Niobium and titanium do not corrode.
• Although niobium and titanium were once considered expensive, silver has gone from $5 per ounce in 2003 to $40 per ounce in 2011. At under $20 per ounce niobium and titanium might just be the new 'affordable' jewelry metals!
• Niobium and titanium are physiologically inert. They are among the most hypoallergenic of all metals.
I have a sensitivity…
- Born on March 7
- Joined March 24, 2011