bugman58's Profile

About

"Across my Dreams...With Nets of Wonder...I Chase the Bright Elusive Butterfly of Love"... From the wonderful song by Bob Lind that I'm sure many of you remember. The best part is we rarely use nets anymore except for research. Butterfly and Exotic Insect farming is my passion. Why? because it is a renewable resource that helps save rain forests of the world while promoting legal, tangible commerce, for the indigenous peoples of many equatorial tropical regions. I have personally traveled to several countries to establish trade with bona fide butterfly breeding facilities and farmers. About 90 percent of the insects I offer have been farm raised in other countries. The other 10 percent I farm at home for my work. These butterflies and other insects are reared in captive breeding populations under controlled conditions and allowed to re-produce and die naturally before being shipped to various artists and collectors worldwide. We often…

Read more

  • Male
  • Born on April 10
  • Joined February 15, 2008

Favorite materials

I work with Acrylic pouring curing and polishing, wood working by building frames cutting glass for my frames, mounting specimens and some insect preservation work both in clear Acrylic, and Plexi glass for Butterflies, Moths, Beetles, and other Insects

Shop

BugsInMyHouse
Elusive Butterflies of Love Art/Bugs In My...

About

"Across my Dreams...With Nets of Wonder...I Chase the Bright Elusive Butterfly of Love"... From the wonderful song by Bob Lind that I'm sure many of you remember. The best part is we rarely use nets anymore except for research. Butterfly and Exotic Insect farming is my passion. Why? because it is a renewable resource that helps save rain forests of the world while promoting legal, tangible commerce, for the indigenous peoples of many equatorial tropical regions. I have personally traveled to several countries to establish trade with bona fide butterfly breeding facilities and farmers. About 90 percent of the insects I offer have been farm raised in other countries. The other 10 percent I farm at home for my work. These butterflies and other insects are reared in captive breeding populations under controlled conditions and allowed to re-produce and die naturally before being shipped to various artists and collectors worldwide. We often forget that these insects are at the end of their life cycles. Males of tropical species of adult butterflies, moths, beetles, and others live only a few days after becoming adults, just long enough to reproduce. Females live long enough to lay eggs, ... a little longer. They spent most of their lives as eggs, larva, pupae, cocoons or Chrysalids. About 90 percent of all of the captive farmed butterflies and other insects are released back into the native habitat thus insuring strong future population growth. The insects are sent to me dead and dry and I re-hydrate them, pin them out, allow to dry again, build frames, mount them in these or other types of display mounts, like Acrylic. I also farm raise many local species for my work and conservation right here at home. I am an Artist/Entomologist and enjoy combining the two areas in my craft.

Questions I am asked most often:
* Are the insects real? Yes.
* Are they painted or are the colors enhanced artificially? No.
* Do you have any other frame colors? Black is what I use the most, because I have found they are the most popular and considered a neutral color. Occasionally I have other colors available, including natural stains.
* Why are your frames double glass? It's my preference to offer something different than the standard solid back style box frames. However, on occasion I use solid back frames, or Acrylic frames for some insects.
* What are Dermestid Beetles? Small insects that love to eat dry organic materials in and around the home. A common pest of pantry products, they will also consume dead insects ... like our specimens. This is why proper mounting and frame construction is critical.
* Why do you silicone the back of your deluxe model frames? To protect the specimens from Dermestid Beetles. The construction of my standard frames is also very good at keeping out pests. I give an unlimited pest guarantee on ALL the frames that I make. See Shop Policies Page about this.
* I notice a small flaw in your butterflies on occasion ... Why? Because I choose to use insects that are allowed to die naturally, they are not always 100 percent flawless. I never use any poor quality specimens in my work but a keen eye can usually find a tiny non-perfection once in awhile. Like other natural life forms nothing is perfect.
* Do you make everything yourself? It would be more accurate to say, I put everything together myself. I do copy other designs of products I have seen, either made by other artists or in some cases, being mass produced. I change them slightly to add my own artistic flair. One example is my Acrylic casting specimen work. I also create my own artistic designs like my Artist Signature series.
* Do you ever offer unmounted specimens or live stock? Sometimes I have additional dead, dry and papered stock for sale. Contact for availability.
I do not sell any live materials at this time.
* Do you Wholesale? If you take the time to shop the competition you will see that my prices are already very low. However, I can offer quantity purchase discounts on some items. Contact me directly for more information.
* How can I Help? Join and participate in one of the many worldwide butterfly farming and insect conservation programs. Support farmers, breeders and artists that participate in these programs.
* How can I learn to work with insects like you do? Attend classes at your local colleges, obtain books from the library, download data from the internet, email me directly for free information or attend one of my workshops in Sacramento, CA. But even more important is hands on experience. Don't be afraid of trial and error. I have learned most of my skills from doing and from my mistakes. Put down the video game, shut off the tube, get out and experience nature every chance you get and make the field study (Observation) of insects a priority.
* Why don't I see more butterflies in my neighborhood? I would ask you ... How much concrete is in your neighborhood? Butterflies are found where their larval food plants can grow and thrive. Planting larval food plants in and around your yard, as well as flowering plants and shrubs for the adults, will help insure you see more.
* Why don't you offer sales outside of the U.S.? It is POSSIBLE for me to sell my listed items to customers outside of the United States. Contact me directly about the item or items and we can discuss shipping options and costs at that time. We will still use the Etsy sales listing, but I can adjust the shipping rate and the destination BEFORE the sale is made. Note that I ship all my items by USPS Priority Mail unless otherwise noted in listings. California residents ... Please remember that you will never be charged sales tax on any of my listings. I pay it for you. Also keep in mind shipping costs have gone up a lot. The prices I have listed for shipping reflects only the postage costs. I am not charging you extra for the packing materials, i.e. boxes, bubble wrap, foam peanuts etc. I am helping you out in that area of the sale too. I have shopped the competition extensively to make sure I am offering the best possible quality at the best possible prices. I can do this because I buy the insects directly from the breeders and suppliers and do all the mounting work myself. If you are looking for a specific insect or a collection please contact me directly and we will discuss the possibilities and costs. Ask about quantity discounts and combined shipping on listings. In addition to Pay Pal I now accept payment through Revolution Money Exchange. Custom order requests are also possible through the Alchemy option in my Etsy shop. Currently enrolled college students majoring in any Life Science field of study will receive a discount on any purchase. Thanks again for your interest and support. Please be aware that prices are subject to change at any time. Sincerely, Mike - Owner/Elusive Butterflies of Love Art/Bugs In My House Art/

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?