Announcement ♡ Welcome friend! We have some new items in stock! Plus: Your purchase will support the establishment of an artisan training centre in Zimbabwe ♡
♡ Welcome friend! We have some new items in stock! Plus: Your purchase will support the establishment of an artisan training centre in Zimbabwe ♡
Shaween on Oct 21, 20215 out of 5 stars
A very beautiful piece that will be in fashion forever. love the design and perfect workmanship, it was custom mafe and Alia the designer did her best to excute the earrings to my liking. I will always buy from this shop.
Darcy on Oct 6, 20215 out of 5 stars
This cuff is beautiful and also not as delicate as it looks which is an indication of the quality. This piece of jewellery will stand up to decades of use. Alia Weston is a pleasure to purchase from!
Suzanne on Apr 27, 20215 out of 5 stars
I received my earrings from Alia Weston Jewellery just a few short days after placing the order. These earrings are incredibly crafted with attention to detail and construction that isn't immediately evident in the photographs. They are just stunning, and I am blown away. I am really happy to wear these earrings as pieces of art, even if only in Zoom calls for now!
dimplekeshav on Mar 19, 20215 out of 5 stars
I sent these as a gift for a friend and she absolutely loved them. The earrings were delivered on time and in perfect condition. My friend loves that she can use these earrings with a pair jeans or even with formal wear. The earrings are so beautiful and are so delicate that they would compliment anyone. I am even thinking of getting my own pair!
Julie Branquinho on Feb 2, 20215 out of 5 stars
I received my exquisite necklace today from Alia Weston Jewellery just a few days after I ordered. The necklace is beautifully crafted, the ordering process flawless and the owner just lovely to deal with. Thank you.
Shaween on Dec 27, 20205 out of 5 stars
I love these earrings that I customized for myself. Great for any occasion even prettier in person. love the way the Ruby, Sapphire and garnet are intertwined in the center of the flower.
5 out of 5 stars
Another great purchase from AliaWestonJewellery. I have a lot of very happy friends and family this Christmas!
5 out of 5 stars
This was a birthday gift for my daughter-in-law. She put them on right away and didn't want to take them off! It made me want to buy my own pair.
5 out of 5 stars
I gave these earrings and the matching necklace to my 20-year old niece and she was over the moon!!! I love the beautiful design and workmanship and how it was packaged.
♡ Handcrafted precious metal lace jewellery. Wearable art that promotes well-being, community care and cultural respect ♡
HELLO I'M ALIA :)
I design jewellery for art lovers who believe in the nurturing power of living a life surrounded by beauty that has purpose!
ART LOVERS LIKE YOU WHO...
> Love being surrounded by wearable and design that tells a meaningful story.
> Value fine artisan practices that promote well-being, community care and cultural respect.
> Collect distinctive jewellery to accentuate your unique style, and make a powerful statement that shows respect and care for fine artisan craft
THIS IS MY STORY...
I was 12 when I caught the jewellery bug with my childhood bestie Catherine Anyango Grünewald (also an acclaimed artist). Using my mum's sewing box (and a big stone - yes a stone!) we made Coca Cola bottle-top earrings and proudly sold them at a craft fair in Nairobi! Fast-forward, and I fell in love with precious metal wire work and lace-making while studying a BA in Jewellery, Silversmithing and Allied Crafts at the Cass School of Art and Design in London, UK. In 2004, I established Alia Weston Jewellery to share my love for contemporary wearable art.
Design is a way for me to celebrate my mixed-heritage. South African, Cape Malay culture, kindled my love for beaded lace clothing and home-wares that are treasured for special occasions, while my English heritage sparked my fascination for lace-making. Raised in Zimbabwe and Kenya, lush nature offers abundant inspiration for my organic designs. Using delicate motifs, like flower petals, I painstakingly weave precious wire into intricate sculptural jewellery for your enjoyment. My innovative technique has been honoured in the jewellery industry. My 'Celestial Dust' Collar, received a Silver Award from the Goldsmith's Craftsmanship & Design Awards, while my my 'Petals Embrace' silver rose bodice was commended by the British Jewellers Association. My work in stocked by prestigious retail outlets in the fine Craft industry, including Cecelia Coleman Gallery in London (UK), and the Craft Ontario gallery shop in Toronto.
Love for the arts, education and responsible business led me to become a Professor at OCAD University in Toronto, where I have the privilege of supporting emerging artists and designers to realise their dreams of starting creative businesses. Though Alia Weston Jewellery, I am excited to show them how it's done. When you work with me you are playing a part in empowering future generations of creative entrepreneurs!
When you wear a piece of Alia Weston Jewellery, you'll make an everlasting statement at any occasion. You'll radiate elegance wearing pieces of unique art. You'll wow in couture that resemble delicate flowers or fur!
Are you ready to make a statement? Head over to shop today! :) ♡
Collaboration with talented, creative and loving people is a special ingredient, for me, at Alia Weston Jewellery. Each one of the artists who have collaborated with me went the extra mile to create the truly wonderful outcomes that you will find here on this website, and woven into everything that goes on behind the scenes.
• JAY JOO - of JJSTUDIO Toronto collaborated with me on my 2018 Exhibition at JJSTUDIO. Jay also supports me by making a custom earring attachment for my African Rose Studs.
• SALISA JATUWERAPONG - Is a talented experience designer, maker and VR/AR enthusiast. Salisa worked with me in 2018-2019 as a workshop assistant while studying at OCAD University.
• ZIYI WANG - A talented jeweller and digital artist worked with me in 2018-2019 as a workshop assistant while studying at OCAD University.
• GILAD COHEN - Took the wonderful portrait of me on this page. He is a talented photographer and human rights activist. @mrgiladcohen @jayucanada
• SAMI FORTUNE WINTON - Another talented photographer took the portrait of the male model wearing the flower lapel pin. @samifortune @thefortunecollection
Over the summer of 2018, I collaborated on a photoshoot and re-branding exercise with a wonderful team of artists:
• JULIE RIEMERSMA - The beautiful photographs in this site are the work of Julie Riemersma, a Toronto/ Amsterdam-based fashion photographer. Julie has a magical eye for detail. It was a pleasure to co-design the concept in a way that perfectly reflects my brand. @julieriemersma
• SINDHU SENTHILNATHAN - The model’s hair and makeup is the work of talented make-up artist and stylist Sindhu Senthilnathan. Sindhu has a knack for creating any look you want, with a sparkling attitude of excitement! @sndhurella
• LESLIE-ANN SMITH - The backgrounds in the photographs are all original art, custom-made for the photoshoot by visual artist Leslie-Anne Smith. Leslie is an accomplished portrait artist with an evocative, bold style that speaks emotion.
• SHARENE SHAFIE - My gorgeous model (both inside and out) is Sharene Shafie, a Toronto born Egyptian-Filipina artist and social innovator. Sharene’s mixed-heritage and work in social impact make her the perfect representative of my brand.
• MISHAL WESTON - This website is the work of my (Alia's) sibling Mishal, a brilliant multi-disciplinary designer, artist and photographer. Mishal elevated the Alia Weston Jewellery brand to the next level through this site. @mishalweston
My 2019 bridal photoshoot was a glamorous outdoor garden wedding collaboration:
• ANASTASIA - Is a talented photographer based in Toronto who creates elegant, timeless photographs. Anastasia created our beautiful garden themed wedding look-book with her expert eye. @stasia.photo
• ANTONELLA CUMBO - Is an award-winning hairdresser. Her special power is creating styles to individually suit each client's natural beauty. Antonella created different hair styles to suit each of the looks in our lookbook. @antonellacumbo
• SHANNON VOISIN - The model Shannon, a sweet and lovely human, and a joy to work with. Smart and beautiful, Shannon's passion is working in inclusive childhood education. @shannonvoisin
• SINDHU SENTHILNATHAN - With passion and excitement, again Sindhu created beautiful make-up looks for our shoot. @sndhurella
Alia developed her contemporary lace-making technique while completing a Degree in Jewellery and Silversmithing in London UK. Inspired by her heritage, her designs meld Southern African beading and traditional British lace-making into couture jewelly
Fireflies Atelier creates nature inspired gemstone jewelry sold on Etsy FIREFLIES ATELIER X ALIA WESTON is a design cross-over between two brands produced by designer Alia Weston. A Wildflower silver lace motif is paired with colourful gemstones creating a unique line of floral earrings ♡
JJSTUDIO is operated by jewellery artist couple Jay Joo and Alice Yujing Yan. Both artists specialize in exploring three-dimensional structure and surface. JJStudio custom, hand make the earring backs which we attach to our wire lace, floral earring fronts
Returns & exchanges
I gladly accept cancellations
I don't accept returns or exchanges
I accept returns I do not accept returns
I accept exchanges I do not accept exchanges
I accept cancellations I do not accept cancellations
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Frequently asked questions
This is a delicate piece of jewellery. Use care when wearing, storing and cleaning it. When wearing be careful not to catch on knitwear or loose clothing such as scarves. Silver is a soft metal that tarnishes (darkens) over time when exposed to air and chemicals in beauty products. Carefully storing the piece in its box, wrapped in acid-free paper, will help to ensure that it keeps its shape and will prevent tarnishing. If applying perfume, lotion, hairspray, sunscreen or self-tanners allow drying before putting on your jewellery. A silver or gold polishing cloth can be used for general cleaning but should be used with care. Gentle buffing will remove tarnish and restore shine.
Custom and Personalised Orders
If you see something you like but want it in a different variation, let us know!
We are happy to work with you to customize your order, from stones to colour, sizes and other variables. Send us a message to inquire about custom orders.
Postage and Shipping
Please note deliveries may be delayed due to Covid-19.
We currently deliver to Canada, USA, United Kingdom, Australia and Zimbabwe.
Shipping is free to Canada and the USA. A flat rate CAD $20 is charged for shipping to UK and Australia. Expedited delivery is currently available for Canada. Please inquire with us if you are interested in standard or expedited delivery to another location.
Pick-up is available in Toronto
Zimbabwe deliveries are shipped a few times a year and can be collected from our local representative in Harare. Please inquire about which products are available. The next drop is anticipated for Jan/Feb 2021.
We are not responsible for failed deliveries due to the following:
* Customer providing the wrong shipping address.
* Customer providing incorrect contact information (phone/email) which is needed by customs in order to clear packages.
* Customer refuses to pay customs and/or duties.
* Customer fails to pick up package from carrier location once logged by carrier.
Gift wrapping and packaging
All of our jewelry is individually packaged like a gift. We will happily include a gift note!
We never include a printed receipt, so your jewelry is ready to be gifted right out of the package :)
What are the Little Paper Hearts in the Boxes?
These are anti-tarnish paper. They help slow down the natural tarnishing process which causes silver and gold plated jewellery to darken. Keep the the heart with your jewellery :) !
How do you come up with your pricing?
Our jewellery is artisan made and individually crafted by hand in our studio in Toronto. Each piece can take up to 9 individual steps to make. These include winding lace, forming motifs, soldering, shaping pieces, cleaning, sewing, beading, plating, and finishing. This means it takes a significant amount of time to make a single piece. We use high quality materials, including pure silver wire, (which costs more than sterling silver), and authentic, precious and semi-precious gemstones and pearls. Our jewellery is thus exceptional quality and labour intensive to make which contributes to the pricing. The result is one of a kind, unique pieces of jewellery made with fair, artisan labour practices.
What's the difference between pure silver and sterling silver?
Fine silver is 99.9% pure silver. It is soft, easy to manipulate and does not tarnish darkly as sterling silver since it has no copper content. It is more expensive due to higher precious metal content.
Sterling silver consists of 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% copper. A “925” insignia signifies the purity. The result is cheaper silver that stands up to hard wear.
These types of silver are commonly used by jewellers for different reasons that influence durability, tarnishing and price. We use pure silver wire for our handmade lace components because it is softer, easier to manipulate into designs, and does not tarnish darkly. Some components, like our brooch backs, earring wires, and chains are sterling silver because they are more durable.