This is a gift to myself and stays on my table. A perfect reminder for endless possibilities.
I love, love, love this picture! On a greeting card looks also beautiful. The delivery was on time in a lovely envelope!
Such a lovely message on it! A gift of inspiration, if you think to send someone you love, a postcard.
Stories, Hopeful Creatures, Way-finding and Inter-connectedness
I am Liesel Beukes. I travelled a long way from South Africa to Germany to discover that my name carries the German word for love: lie.be. This is now my signature. I believe that many of the world's problems are rooted in two feelings. Feeling loved and feeling unloved.
A few keywords to describe my work and my world:
Stories, Hopeful Creatures, Way-finding, Inter-connectedness
I am multi-passionate and find it hard to choose just one kind of art to focus on. So I decided to divide my studio into three different worlds.
On the fine art side, I make larger conceptual paintings on canvas using collage, acrylics, oils and whatever the painting asks for. I employ both research and intuitive strategies to make the final piece of work. The theme underlying most of my Fine Art paintings is interconnectedness.
Function: Thought-provoking wall-art
Who is it for? Individuals, interior decorators, companies and art-lovers.
On the illustration side, I created the Bhoomie world. The Bhoomies are little earth spirits that live in total unison with nature. They grow an inch on the inside every day and take life as it is: beautiful, extraordinary, light, joyful and filled to the brim with wonder. They are ambassadors of happiness and support all earthlings to live their lives whilst believing in possibility. I create them on canvas and sometimes on paper. They turn up when I am in need of something specific like courage, light, a hug, a new view, etc.
Function: A hug on the wall, in your purse, to send to a friend. At the moment my product range includes originals, art prints, greeting cards, calendars, story-boxes and soon stationery and pocketbooks of wonder/ friendship/ love/ hope, and children’s books.
Who is it for? Dreamers, believers, seers, imperfectionists, earth-lovers, someone in need of a hug, wonder-seekers, for the wholehearted, but also for the hole-hearted, anyone in need of encouragement and comfort.
My third world is Surface Pattern Design. The patterns also feed into my other two worlds. My yearly Bhoomie calendar doubles as gift-wrap to give the calendars a second life when the year is over.
Function: To make everything beautiful.
Who is it for? Me (to compliment my own work) as well as for art licensing on fabric, gift wrap, wallpaper, etc.
My Process | I have tools that help me, a few methods that I favour and general studio rules to carry me.
Contemplation, daily journaling, good reference, learning (I do regular courses to keep learning), client work for a fresh perspective.
At the moment I love the shadows to lights painting method for my fine art. The Bhoomies I paint by respecting the white of the canvas for my highlights. A pattern starts with doodling on left-over tea-papers at the kitchen table. Sometimes with a plan, mostly intuitively. Stories emerge as the painting happens in both my Fine Art pieces and Bhoomies (my illustration world).
1. All design work has to start on paper.
2. SPACE. Space to observe the piece is just as valuable a part of the process as the work itself.
3. Trust the mess. There comes a messy part in every piece of art. At the beginning, it was hard for me not to paint over it straight away, but I have learnt that it is an important tipping point towards revealing what the painting will be. Work it until it works.
4. There are no mistakes.
5. When stuck ask: What’s the next step?
6. Be supportive. What feels like procrastination, might just be your brain putting things in order. Be supportive towards your inner creative. (If not you, then who?)
7. Time. It always takes longer than you think - leave enough room.
8. Turn up every day.
9. Focus. I found it to be much more effective if I focus on the task at hand, instead of trying to do everything at the same time. If I find it hard to focus - I set the timer to say an hour and commit for that hour. Works like a charm.
10. Record-keeping. If I don't write my ideas down - I lose them between all of the other things going on.
11. One step at a time, one step at a time, one step at a time, one step at a time, one step at a time. My mantra for when I feel overwhelmed.
12. Celebrate imperfection. Imperfections make the world interesting. Own it.
13. Be an art scientist. When you feel inspired by something – try to pinpoint what exactly you love about the piece.
14. Permission to play.
15. Find the art there is to everything - this will make everything in your life beautiful (also your least favourite little jobs)
My Studio | If my studio were a person it would wear a hat and a dotted green bow tie and be friendly and kind. It is light and colourful with stacks of books for reference and inspiration. Digital gear and canvasses, paintbrushes, tables. Chaotic at times and I rearrange it often.
And that's my story! Thank you for reading. Have a beautiful day!
Around the web
Owner, Creator, Designer
Accepted payment methods
- Accepts Etsy gift cards
*Please note that you will be briefly taken out of this site while you pay for your order at PayPal but you will be directed right back to this site after the payment completes. I will promptly send you an order confirmation via email.
* Please be sure your shipping address is correct as we are not responsible for orders shipped to the wrong location. We are also not responsible for additional postage to re-ship the order if the package has been returned to us for any reason (unless we mistakenly shipped it the incorrect address, of course).
* Once your order has been shipped, we will send you an email letting you know your package has been shipped. We do not have any control or way to track your package. Though we don’t expect it to happen, we are not responsible for lost or damaged items.
* If you buy more than one item that is to be sent to the same address, you'll only be charged once. The more expensive shipping charge will be the one used for your purchase.