Lux on Oct 27, 2016
This book is beautiful. It turned out so much better than I expected it to. I am very happy that I contacted you about this project. Thank you Kalin! :)
Lux on Sep 18, 2016
This book is so beautiful and the added addition of my name to the title really sets it over the top. Like all of the other books I have purchased, I am beyond happy with this purchase. I love it.
Lux on Aug 20, 2016
This book is so beautiful! Everything about it is absolutely perfect. As always, I am speechless. Balkan Bookbindery is simply the best. The quality and uniqueness is unmatched. Thank you!
Influenced by the long gone...
The Stopan is a protective ancestral spirit of a family household. It has many names and takes many shapes in folk tales throughout the Balkans and Slavic nations as a whole. It takes care of the house, the cattle, the crops and the family. It demands nothing in return except to be remembered and certain times and kept fed. When he isn’t happy the house starts to to break, the cattle to fall ill, the crops to diminish and sickness and death befall the family.
I took upon myself this name for several reasons. I wish to remind of the fear we used to face when alone in the dark and how the home, the fire and the family was the beacon we ran towards. For now we are in the dark again but there is no beacon in sight.
I strive to express these feelings and thoughts through many mediums, be it through a leather bound book or journal, a few lines of poetry, a story or a picture.
For my books I draw influence from bygone times, from old Bulgarian manuscripts rotting in our libraries, yet when opened glow with gold and crimson, glow with faith and mastery of skill. Books that stood against the test of time and stand strong even now. Unfortunately I never had a master, I started binding out of personal need and still am learning from dead masters alone. I strive to make books and journals that touch the heart of people, books that yet again glow with gold and crimson, books that yet again will stand the test of time give their owners joy and security.
I carefully select the materials for the books and journals. The properties of the leather, paper and adhesives are considered and if they can’t last a 100 years then they shouldn’t be used. The perfect book for me is a very balanced combination of strong and beautiful, of regal stature and dark atmosphere, of masterwork quality and truly a reflection of its owner. The road to perfection is long and I walk towards it with passion and commitment.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and for appreciating my work.
Best wishes to all,
Influenced by the macabre, folk traditions, the occult and by potions and herbs.
Accepted payment methods
- Currently the shop can only accept payment via PayPal.
- Shipping from Sofia, Bulgaria to the address you provide on your Etsy profile.
- The posting is made by registered priority mail, so you will receive a tracking number by which you can follow the route of your item.
Delivery time varies and there is a possibility for delay in customs. I can't give you and exact time in which an item is shipped.
- Delivery time within the EU is between 5 and 14 working days, depending on the country.
- For everywhere else the time for shipping is between 14 and 24 working days.
Refunds and Exchanges
- If something happens to the package and it is not shipped to you, you should let us know and you will receive a refund of your payment.
- If the item is delivered damaged, you reconsidered your purchase or want a different journal you can send your item back (at your expense and within 14 days of delivery) and you will receive a refund or a different item.
Additional policies and FAQs
- Please consider that some irregularities in the structure of the journals are an inescapable part of the handmade craft.