Announcement Minimalistic handmade leather crafts & custom embossing tools.
Minimalistic handmade leather crafts & custom embossing tools.
Speed, Accurate & No Excuse!
We believe time is more than money. Money is all around us but when time is lost, there is no return. We handle enquiries, orders and feedbacks promptly if not instantly! Try us, you will be amazed!
Accuracy is the one single requirement that matters the most to our customers as custom made products have to be on the spot!
We are human (don't let our appearances in the bio fool you) so we do make mistakes but we are honest about it. We admit our faults, resolve the problems together with you and provide rectifications quickly.
I’m addicted to leather and passionate about making custom leather embossing stamps for fellow leather makers! .
I’m responsible for the packaging and shipping. I may be sleeping most of the day but once I’m packing, I’m quick and efficient. It takes good eyes to spot the tiny tiniest errors in the custom made stamps too.
Accepted payment methods
1. Registered airmail (10-15 working days) *not recommended for projects with a deadline.
It generally takes 10-15 working days to arrive by registered airmail. However, (especially to USA handled by USPS) this is a regular airmail service and mail could get delays more frequently than other shipping method. According to our experience, about 90% chance it can make it on time and the rest 10% could be delayed for a week or 2. Therefore we recommend the following 2 shipping method if you are on a deadline.
2. FedEx with tracking (3-5 working days)
It is a much more reliable service and 99% of shipment arrives on time (except customs exceptions). We highly recommend this shipment method if you are on a schedule.
3. FedEx Priority (1-2 working days)
The most reliable and fast delivery. The one to go for if you are in an absolute hurry.
Refunds and Exchanges
- 100% refund (within 5 working days on receiving the product) upon request, no questions asked (except custom made items).
- Refund will be arranged once we receive the goods return.
- Seller is responsible for the return shipping costs if the reason for return is due to defects in workmanship.
- Buyer is responsible for the return shipping costs for other reasons.
- Refund/Exchange for custom made items will only be accepted if it is due to defects in workmanship. Otherwise, all custom orders are final and no return/exchange is accepted. Custom orders definition: any personalization or customization, e.g. custom initial emboss, custom size, custom made stamps