A Real Job
As a child, whenever someone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I'd say "I'm going to be an artist." So often the response was "Everyone is already an artist. I mean what do you want to do for a REAL job when you grow up?"
Guess what happened? I grew up, got a corporate job fresh out of college and I was managing at a large company by 22 years old. I did that for almost 8 years and gained wonderful experience but not the life joy I was looking for. Joy in your work is so important. I didn't have that working under florescent lighting and constant white noise.
In 2008 I opened The Midnight Orange and in 2011 my business had grown so much that I couldn't keep up with it while working my regular full time job. I took the very brave leap of faith and left my corporate job to pursue my dream as a full time artist. The job no one thought was real when I was a little girl became my very real, very fulfilling, very stable career. Here we are in 2016 and I am so completely humbled and privileged to be here doing what I'm doing. I am thrilled to be living my dream and teaching my two young daughters that working hard and having passion can make dreams come true.
I am passionate about sculpting and the subject matters that I sculpt. I want my artwork to touch everything life touches and for my sculptures to help us tell our life journeys in clay. My hope is that that is what you feel you've found at The Midnight Orange.
I sculpt child angels in honor of my childhood friend Christopher who left much, much too soon when we were just 8 years old. You can read his story here: http://themidnightorange.blogspot.com/2010/04/why-i-sculpt-child-angels.html
Through clay my aim is to touch all of life's journeys, from very bright to very raw.
Meet my beautiful husband, Thomas. Tom helps me at home with parts of my process that don't require sculpting. At times he prepares my clay for me, cuts out wings, and helps me with packaging every now and then.
Accepted payment methods
- Accepts Etsy gift cards
**IMPORTANT update on my current creation period**
My current creation period varies based on the item and is viewable in the Shipping Tab of each listing. I work in volume and make every sculpture by hand with tender care. Prior to placing an order, please review the item's creation period and consider my handmade capacity and ensure that my timeline works for you as I am booked very tightly during the holiday shopping season and am not able to rush any current orders. If you are giving a gift, you might consider giving your recipient a "Gift to Come" and printing out a picture of the sculpture to give inside of a card. You can let your recipient know that you've commissioned an artist to sculpt on their behalf and that as soon as their handmade gift is ready it will be on its way. Please do refrain from placing an order with instructions to rush the creation period in your order notes. I always work as quickly and efficiently as possible and treat all of my orders as urgent and time sensitive and will make sure to get your order out in the mail by the timeline I've committed to in my quoted creation period.
Thank you so much and sending lots of warmth,
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
★ Do you offer engraving services?
- I do not offer engraving services but I do have a gift box upgrade where you can have a quote or personalized message/name and date printed on the inner lid of your gift box. You can view that option here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheMidnightOrange?ref=hdr_shop_menu§ion_id=6449258
★Do you do custom orders?
- I take on custom orders that are within my style and abilities and within my available capacity to do so. I am not able to take on a custom piece that would violate another person or party's intellectual property (aka, no requests for copyrighted or trademarked characters please or requests to copy another artist's design or work).
★How long will my order take to make and receive?
- Since I work in volume, I have a creation period that allows me to work through my pending sales in the order they are received. My creation period is viewable on the Shipping Tab in every one of my item listings. When I package an order I send an email to you notifying your order is on the way, and including tracking in most countries. Shipping time will vary based on what country you live in.
★I already placed an order, when will I receive it?
- You can view your shipping date listed on your invoice. To access your invoice, go to the top right of your screen under Your Account, and then choose Purchases. You will see your order there and you can click on it to open up your invoice and review details.
★I am giving this as a gift, can you ship to my recipient?
- I do this all the time and am touched to do so on your behalf. If I am shipping to your recipient please enter **their** address in the Ship To during check out. Not to worry, your receipt is not included in the package.
Refunds and Exchanges
Should an item ever arrive damaged, please contact me and I will help you and ensure that your experience brings you both satisfaction and a beautiful, in tact product. Shipping maladies are few and far between but if the issue should present itself, you know where to find me. :)
Additional policies and FAQs