Announcement Welcome to TinTrunk, specialising in quality 20th century luggage (coming soon!) and jewellery. And a few surprises now and then.
Welcome to TinTrunk, specialising in quality 20th century luggage (coming soon!) and jewellery. And a few surprises now and then.
2xntric on Apr 14, 2017
Great item and fast shipping!
Karen McEndoo on Mar 7, 2017
Love this brooch! Well packed and swiftly delivered Thank you
The TinTrunk story goes back a while!
I’ve always been a bit of a magpie from a young age, picking up old things that intrigued me, and I realised eventually that it was the history of things (and who bought and used them) that interested me as much as the objects themselves. So I did a degree in the history of design, and enjoyed that so much I did an MA too. I’ve also volunteered in museums, which gave me invaluable experience in handling, identifying and dating objects.
In addition, I’ve been involved in the vintage trade - as a buyer and seller - intermittently since the mid 1970s. And now it’s what I do for a living.
You can be assured that I always carefully research everything I sell - that’s one of the most fun parts of the job! - and that I stand by any claims made for any item. I have over 40 years of experience and I’m a proud history nerd!
You can also be assured that I will only clean/restore things with a light hand as I prefer to sell things in as near to original condition as possible. It should be up to you as a buyer if you want, for example, to polish something so it looks like it’s new. Personally I prefer things to look their age, and preserve their hard-won patina.
I've been a collector since the mid 70s, a seller since the mid 80s, have an MA in Design History, have been a museum volunteer in the 2000s. I’m steeped in vintage! My stock is in as original condition as possible. Items should look their age.
I take customer satisfaction very seriously - I'm not happy unless you are happy - so it is well worth a couple of minutes of your time to check over my shop policies to prevent any unnecessary misunderstandings later on (believe me, they took a lot longer than that to write!)
I've tried to cover everything, but if you've still got questions don't hesitate to contact me.
Accepted payment methods
- Accepts Etsy gift cards
• If I haven't received payment or communication within 3 days of the sale date, the sale will be cancelled, the buyer will be informed, and the item will be relisted.
• UK orders are sent First Class Signed For delivery, and non-UK orders are sent Royal Mail International Signed For, which is tracked and requires a signature on delivery.
• Royal Mail's services (including 'Signed For') offer discretionary compensation for loss or damage up to £50.00.
• Items above that value (£50.00) will be shipped with insurance to cover.
• I try to ship within three business days at the latest.
• All items are securely packed using new (and some recycled) materials. My priorities are security and protection, without adding unnecessary weight. It's functional rather than frilly!
• International buyers are responsible for paying any customs fees or duties in their own countries.
• I will ALWAYS combine shipping and save you money whenever possible!
I can't give a flat rate for extra items because my stock is all different sizes and weights - and ask me for a precise quote based on the combined weight and size of your order.
Even if you do not contact me before ordering more than one item, I will refund you any excess amount via Paypal.
Refunds and Exchanges
• Scrutinise ALL the photographs using the super duper zoom!
And if you need more photographs just ask me and I'll send them to you promptly.
• Ask questions if you're not sure about anything - before you commit to the purchase! - and I'll be delighted to help.
• Read my shop policies (hooray, you are!) and make sure you are happy with them before you click 'Add to cart.'
• For vintage garments, it is ESSENTIAL to compare the measurements provided in the item description to a similar garment of your own that fits you well.
All measurements are taken from the outside of the garment laid flat and doubled where appropriate - bust, waist, hip for example.
These measurements SHOULD NOT BE THE SAME as your actual body measurements - you should allow at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) for ease of fit, and more for outer garments such as coats.
• Naturally, I'm only human so if you think that I've overlooked something major or significantly misrepresented an item you have purchased then contact me WITHIN 7 DAYS of receiving it.
• Returned items must be in the same condition as they were sent.
• Fragile items should be carefully packed in their original packing or equivalent - if it doesn't reach me intact because of inadequate packing it cannot be refunded.
• Returns must be sent securely the same way they were dispatched (tracking and delivery confirmation/signature on delivery required) and with sufficient insurance to cover the item's value. This is not refundable.
Additional policies and FAQs
• Vintage garments, accessories and other items cannot be held to the same standards of performance and durability as new items. In fact, they don't like stress because they are old and sometimes a bit fragile. This might sound obvious, but if those fibres and seams are 60 years old, for example, you can't expect them to endure same everyday, rough and tumble treatment as a new garment.
• I cannot guarantee that they have been in smoke and pet-free homes throughout their entire lifetime.
• Apart from gentle cleaning - and treating leather, for example - I prefer to leave items in their original condition with any hard-earned patina intact!
• I regret that I cannot hold items for purchase at a later date.
I do go on, don't I! Thank you for taking the trouble to read all this!