WeMadeThisDenver

We Made This (ECDC African Community Center)

Colorado, United States · 28 Sales

WeMadeThisDenver

We Made This (ECDC African Community Center)

Colorado, United States 28 Sales On Etsy since 2011

5 out of 5 stars
(4)

Announcement   Colorado Crafted :: Globally Inspired.
Up-cycled and uniquely sewn items handmade by refugees resettled in Denver, CO. Together we create a sustainable community and gain confidence in individual creativity.


Learn our story and let us be a part of yours.
www.wemadethis.com
wemadethisdenver [!at] acc-den.org
facebook: we made this denver
twitter: ACCWeMadeThis
pinterest: ACCWMT
instagram: wemadethis

You can find our products locally at our boutique and training studio :: 5250 Leetsdale Dr. Suite 211 Denver, CO 80246

Announcement
Last updated on May 12, 2016

Colorado Crafted :: Globally Inspired.
Up-cycled and uniquely sewn items handmade by refugees resettled in Denver, CO. Together we create a sustainable community and gain confidence in individual creativity.


Learn our story and let us be a part of yours.
www.wemadethis.com
wemadethisdenver [!at] acc-den.org
facebook: we made this denver
twitter: ACCWeMadeThis
pinterest: ACCWMT
instagram: wemadethis

You can find our products locally at our boutique and training studio :: 5250 Leetsdale Dr. Suite 211 Denver, CO 80246

We Made This

Contact shop owner

We Made This

Reviews

Average item review
5 out of 5 stars
(4)
gidget Cisselll

gidget Cisselll on Dec 2, 2015

5 out of 5 stars

It was a perfect runner for my fall table!

View all 4 reviews

About

A Sewing Initiative: Unlocking the Courage and Creativity of Refugee Women

Our program started with a vision to create a self-sustainable business, providing full-time employment to refugee women. To date, We Made This teaches an average of 48 refugee women per year, through 12-week courses, who have arrived to the States from countries such as Afghanistan, Bhutan, Burma, DRC, Iraq, and Somalia. Our two artisan teachers, Tin Tin from Burma and Florence from DRC, run classroom instruction; which begins with basic sewing techniques. Eventually, the ladies are not only making products that have been taught by volunteer teachers in the past, but some are even designing and creating their own pieces.

In addition to suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, refugee women often arrive with a limited knowledge of the English language and a lack of formal workplace experience. We Made This has created a safe space to promote language use, cultural adaptation and a skill that serves a dual purpose: to offer a therapeutic outlet as well as to create better lives for themselves. This is all done through the development of sewing, production, sales and entrepreneurial skills. Currently, We Made This enables refugee women to earn a supplemental income through the sale of their products, where 65% of each item sold goes back to the artisan. The remaining 35% covers any material costs.

To showcase the diversity of cultures at We Made This, we purchase a variety of imported fabrics, including African kitenge and kanga, batiks, woven Burmese fabrics, Thai cotton prints, indigo fabric and mud cloth. This variety adds to the uniqueness of our products and contributes to the story of integration we hope to show through our designs.

The artisan women in our community each bring their own cultures, values and life experiences to the artistic process, making for truly unique products. It is our hope that every woman who participates in We Made This finds encouragement and is able to successfully transform her life.

"At the heart of everything, I desire to see the glint in a woman's eye who thought she was nobody, when she realized she was somebody." Inez McCormack

Tweet
Around the web
Shop members
  • Allie Burritt

    Owner, Program Coordinator

  • Tin Tin Peyone

    Designer, Teacher, Artisan

    Originally from Burma and already experienced in sewing, Tin Tin began to volunteer at WMT after moving to Denver in April of 2011. In 2013 she began working as the sewing teacher, contributing to the designs and lessons used in the classroom.

  • Sasha Kalcheff

    Customer Service

Shop policies

Last updated on May 17, 2011

Accepted payment methods

  • Accepts Etsy gift cards