Melting Glass - Alchemy and Mojo
Glass is my passion. I began melting glass in 2009 after a craft workshop weekend with an open torch. I went home and ordered my starter kit that day and have been melting glass nearly every day since.
I approach lampwork the way an alchemist would. I start with a few basic principles, all probably wrong, and add fire. My favorite glasses are the ones that never come out the same way twice. The glass I use is called soda-lime glass. It is probably about 95% identical, like living creatures, for that matter. It's the other 5% that makes my heart beat. The salts that give glass color interact with each other and metal in a way that leaves me speechless. The first thing I do when I get out of bed in the morning is open up the kiln and see what happened while I slept. Then I make coffee.
Like most lampworkers, I believe in magic. Not the kind of magic with candles and powders, but the magic of the unknown. I have taken beads out of the kiln I would swear I never put in there. Sometimes I've wondered where on earth the gorgeous beads came from. I've also accused my partner, Joe, who is color blind, of making beads while I'm asleep because that's the only way those beads could have got in my kiln.
My dream is to be able to work glass for the rest of my life. I want to go to work every day saying "Yay! I get to work!" I'm not afraid of exploding glass, burns or cuts. I've had all of the above and finished what I was working on before I went to the emergency room. I am grateful that what I do requires less physical stamina than mental agility.
If you've made it this far, I'll share a secret with you. Sometimes the glass speaks to me and tells me what it wants to be. I truly treasure those moments. It's the magic I was talking about before. I'll have an idea in my head, and the glass will decide it's going to do something else. I usually try to help it along then.
Ask me any type of question you like about my work. I will answer you. There aren't any stupid questions and I love to talk about what I do. I also love to listen, especially if it involves your creative mojo. I don't care if it involves lampwork beads or leather weaving - if it inspires you I love to hear about it. From a purely practical standpoint I can usually find inspiration in a teacup.
I love custom orders. They stretch my creative muscles and sometimes take me in directions I wouldn't otherwise have gone. I've even discovered a new technique or two trying something that I hadn't seen done before!
Like the alchemist I alluded to earlier, I'm all about growth. I don't think I'll ever master the art of glass but I'll have a whole lot of fun learning it and I hope I can create some beautiful beads while I do. On the off chance you've made it this far and want to learn more about my delving into the mystery that is glass, I sometimes blog about it here
One of the other things I'm all about is sharing. I follow many truly talented glass and other artists and invite you to check out their blogs as well. Leave a comment and I'll definitely see what you've got to say as well!
Please feel free to stay, browse, have a cup of tea and talk. I would love to hear from you!
Owner, Designer, Maker, Curator, Photography, Shipping, Maintenance Engineer
My name is Carol Tannahill, I'm 45 years old and work out of my home studio in New Jersey. I'm a retired nurse and have decided to pursue my lifelong dream of creation. Every day I go to work knowing I'll get to do what I love!
Inventory Management, Chair Warmer, Therapist
I make sure all supplies and beads are in their proper places and that the boss has a nice warm seat for when she's working on the torch. When she's stressed I provide fuzz therapy.
Accepted payment methods