MJMORO on Aug 18, 2016
This belt made from repurposed men's ties is really different and I love the colors. I think it will make any outfit dressier and I think it makes my waist look slimmer. A good buy if you're looking for something unique that everyone else won't have on.
vbarry3 on Dec 31, 2015
Magnifique! Belle ceinture bien fabriquée. Beaucoup de compliments. Vendeuse très gentille et article livré rapidement. Très satisfaite.
One day during one of my weekly visits to the local charity shops, some beautiful silk ties caught my eye. I was fascinated by the textures and patterns, and brought them home to add to my hoard of craft materials. Two of the ties looked exceptionally good together, and I have always loved the look of japanese obi belts, and that is how I started making belts out recycled ties! Since then I have never tired of finding the perfect pairing for all the ties I come across...
All the ties I choose to use are second-hand. I sew the ties together, but I also sew seams all along the edges and the center of the ties to reinforce them by attaching the lightweight silk to the solid interfacing inside. This makes the ties much more resistant to typical curling or creasing. All the ties have been inspected for flaws, but please keep in mind that these items have had previous lives and may have a bit of wear & tear, no matter how thorough my inspection. Be sure to let me know if there is something I overlooked!
Care: All tie belts should be dry cleaned, but in cases of dire need they can be hand-washed and dried flat, then ironed :)
All my tie belts can be worn in slightly different ways, and customers keep discovering new bows and knots to make them even more interesting! They wrap around, and fit all waist sizes. They are between 7 and 8 feet long!
Here is a basic description of how to best wear the belts:
- Hold the belt open and place it against your stomach, preferably so that the bottom half is over your belly button (if it is too low, it will crease every time you sit down or bend over...)
- If you want to have the "pocket", make sure the ties are placed so that the opening is towards the top.
- Wrap it around your waist and bring the ends back towards the front. I personally prefer to tie the belt towards one side, and I try to choose the color that is towards the bottom of the belt and put it across the top of the other color to "frame" it. Sometimes it looks nice across the middle, too.
- I generally tie the belt with a half-bow, but a full bow can be fun and feminine, and it is also possible to tie both ends behind the back (for smaller-sized people only, unfortunately..). People above size 14 may find it difficult to wrap the belt around twice, but can simply tie a bow in back or to the side - it looks great too!
- The belt should be fairly tight, but avoid yanking or pulling knots too hard as this could damage the seams! A firm pull should be enough to keep it on all day. If you notice the belt creasing too much, try wearing it higher or lower.
- Some people like to wear them lower on the hips - they can look quite nice there too. they can even look good worn as headbands! Wear them however you like... (and let me know if you discover any more interesting ways to wear them!)
Owner, Maker, Designer
My name is Rose Riley, and I am a compulsive crafter. I am fascinated by colors and textures. I love bringing a little more color and novelty into day-to-day life, and re-purposing discarded objects!
Care: All tie belts should be dry cleaned only.
My workshop is smoke-free, but I do have cats. Much as I try to discourage them from coming in, they do slip in and find a cozy ball of yarn to use as a pillow every once in a while… If you are allergic to cats I highly recommend you wash your new acquisitions before wearing them. If you don't mind the extra wait, I will be happy to wash them for you if you let me know at the time of purchase.
Accepted payment methods
- Accepts Etsy gift cards
If you would like to pay by cheque or money order, just convo me to let me know first.
Orders are sent only after confirmation of payment.
I am in Canada; AVERAGE SHIPPING TIME TO U.S.A. 4-10 **BUSINESS** DAYS (do not count SATURDAY AND SUNDAY). Orders are shipped within 48 hours of payment received (except for orders placed on Fridays!).
Orders are sent to your Etsy address; please ensure that it is consistent with your PayPal address or convo me if you want it sent to a different address - I am happy to package things as gifts, and include a note if you wish.
Orders are shipped via Canada Post. Approximate delivery times in business days (do not count Saturdays and Sundays):
Canada: 4 -6 business days
U.S.A.: 4-10 business days
Everywhere Else: 6-12 business days
If you would like an express or overnight delivery, contact me for a price estimate.
Shipping costs include postage amounts and sometimes a little bit more to cover the cost of shipping envelopes to ensure your items are received safe and sound.
I am not responsible for packages lost or stolen once mailed - if you would like to upgrade your shipping, convo me and I will let you know the price for your item.
Refunds and Exchanges
Additional policies and FAQs