Daisha Martinez on Mar 17, 2015
Great quality products, wonderful to work with and fast shipping!
Mommy by Day; Crafter/Marketer/Website Designer/Business Owner by night!
I started my shop in 2011 after being in the workforce since I was 15 years old. I had my first daughter and almost overnight I realized that I didn't want to miss another moment of her precious little life. So my hubby and I worked out a way for me to stay home, and thus, The Lovely Little Things Boutique was born. In between moments of hide and seek, tag, play dates, and story time, I design/create new ideas, and do all the behind the scenes stuff that keeps the shop up and running.
It's not easy, but it's 100% worth it. I love staying home, I love crafting, and I LOVE working with all of the customers I get to meet along the way. Customer service and excellent quality are a few of the things I pride myself on. If you are unhappy reach out, I will work hard to repair the situation.
I can proudly say 99% of our items are handmade, mostly by me, or a friend when things get wild. The other 1% are carefully selected from only the BEST suppliers.
You will get beautiful items, of only the best quality, that will make your heart smile. :)
Handcrafting with Love; sending all things Lovely from our home to yours!
Owner, The Magic Behind Everything
I'm a work at home mommy of two amazingly beautiful little girls. When I'm not designing and crafting, I enjoy reading, writing, watching movies, cooking, running, and acting. :)
Accepted payment methods
- Accepts Etsy gift cards
Every item will have delivery confirmation and tracking. Please let us know if you'd like that number at any point.
Though we desperately wish we could, we can not control the length of time it takes for an order to arrive. At times packages do get delayed and we work our hardest to rectify the situations. However, we are not responsible to delayed, lost, stolen, or damaged packages. Each (priority & express mail) package will have insurance and we will be happy to assist you with filing a claim.
We will not provide refunds because a package arrives after the desired date, if it has been shipped with enough time to arrive by said date.
Refunds and Exchanges
Additional policies and FAQs
Once a custom order has been started, there is no cancellation as often special materials have to be ordered. Under extreme circumstance this will be allowed, however there is a 5.00 cancellation fee.
There is no cancellation of rush orders. Under extreme circumstances this will be allowed, however the rush fee will be forfeited.
There is no cancellation of Predesigned items/dress. Under extreme circumstances this will be allowed, however there is a 10.00 cancellation fee.
There is no cancellation once an order has been shipped.