Art with a Hint of Psychology
I started this shop to begin a "career" as an amateur artist. While my focus has remained on my psychology career, I have always been an artist "on the side." I earned a minor in Studio Art in undergrad, so that piece of my identity has always been present to an extent. However, I am now attempting to more fully embrace "the artist within" and ready to show the world my creative side. I've taken the leap by starting this site on etsy.
My interest in the human experience is a common theme within my art. I especially enjoy focusing on emotional experiences, and I aim to illustrate and provoke these emotions through images of human expression.
I recently moved to the Hudson Valley and am already feeling inspired by the beauty of the area, so landscapes may be coming in the near future...(only so long as they still convey emotion). My new apartment actually has a studio area so I now have a space to unleash my creative side. I'm predicting that having a studio will open up the doors to my creativity.
I also have always loved animals, and have spent a lot of time volunteering with animal welfare organizations. This interest has recently inspired me to try some ink drawings of animals (more are coming soon!). I imagine that these drawings in particular will look excellent if printed on different objects, such as mugs, tote bags, and pillows. I am working on making some prototypes, which should also be posted soon.
Thank you for taking the time to visit my etsy shop and reading my story. I hope you enjoy my work!
I am a doctoral candidate in psychology with plans to graduate in 2013. What my colleagues don't know is that I'm also a closet artist...who's beginning to take steps out of the closet. In other words, I'm an amateur so bear with me!
Accepted payment methods
- Accepts Etsy gift cards
Custom portraits are shipped via USPS Priority Mail unless otherwise requested. (Please allow 6 weeks for completion of custom portraits). Oil paintings take several weeks to dry, which is why I ask for at least 6 weeks to complete the painting and allow it to dry so it can be safely shipped. Shipping for custom portraits without a frame in the US is $25 for 20x24 paintings. Shipping costs will vary based on the size of the commissioned piece.
Shipping for other items will depend on whether you choose to purchase the item with or without a frame. Framed items are very fragile and heavy. For some framed items, the shipping costs may be up to $100. If you order only the work of art, shipping will be much less expensive. The item will be carefully packaged so it cannot be bent or damaged in the shipping process. Shipping costs for non-framed watercolors or drawings are $5.00 within the US.
Refunds and Exchanges
Additional policies and FAQs
1) Contact me through an Etsy. Briefly describe what you have in mind. If you already have a good reference photo, attach it to the conversation. If not, I can help with photography suggestions.
2) We'll discuss details about the painting and agree on a price.
3) I'll create an Etsy listing for you to pay a deposit (usually $100) to book your commission. I produce commissions in the order in which deposits are placed.
4) Send reference photos to megcolley [!at] gmail.com, or one at a time via Etsy convo.
5) I'll paint the portrait for you in my studio, then send a digital photo of it for your input. I'll make adjustments until you are satisfied.
6) Upon approval, I'll create an Etsy listing for you to pay the balance, then I'll ship your painting.