Kelly Graves on Aug 23, 2016
Kelly Graves on Aug 23, 2016
Erin Pro on Aug 23, 2016
Interior designer turned soap and candle maker.
I grew up, literally, in our family craft store and have been making things for as long as I can remember. Everything from sewing (I do love me some fabric), to painting, to picture framing. I love those memories of being exposed to so many different creative ideas, outlets, and people. The people that worked at my families store became like my extended family.
I studied interior design in college and do work full time in the field of design. So much of design these days is done on the computer that I started missing the hands on of crafting. I started baking: making cupcakes and/ or cookies several times a week because I really enjoyed it. Although I sent most of it to work with my husband, I was still eating way too many sweets. At one time, I wanted to start my business as some sort of food business, but the regulations are a little prohibitive and there was no way I could jump into renting a kitchen.
So, last summer I took a soap making class and fell in love with it. It is similar to baking in the measuring and the concocting and the possibilities are endless. The light bulb went off and I changed direction and started making soap on my own and then started making candles and opened my shop on Etsy last fall.
Entrepreneurship runs in my blood…my grandfather was a successful businessman as are my parents. I have wanted to have my own business for as long as I can remember and I think I finally found what I want to do. I plan (and hope) to take my business full time in the future, but until then, I will just keep creating great smelling soaps, candles and body products and see where it takes me.
That little guy in my bio pic is Quincy and he is my co-worker day and night...although, I don't think he appreciates how smelly the house gets when I make candles with his sensitive nose.
Owner, Maker, Designer, Curator
Interior designer by day...soap and candle maker by night.
All Plain J products are hand made in small batches and I try to provide the best quality product that I can.
WHY SOY CANDLES?
- Soy candles produce little to no black soot
- Soy wax is a natural product produced by American farmers.
- Soy wax cleans up easily with soap and water so the container can be re-used once your candle has finished burning.
FOR BEST RESULTS WHEN BURNING YOUR PLAIN J SOY CANDLES:
- It's important to establish a memory burn with your soy candles first lighting. Candles have a sort of memory. If you don't allow them to burn all the way to the edge of the container when you first burn them, on subsequent burns they will only burn to the edge created from the first burn, and will therefore tunnel (burn down instead of across) and waste a lot of wax. This initial burn should be for 2-4 hours, depending on the size of your candle.
- This creates an optimum melt pool, and it's the melt pool that allows the wick to throw the candles fragrance. A melt pool of approximately 1/4" deep may be required before scent throw can be detected. This will also lengthen the life of your candle and use as much of the wax as possible.
- I use self trimming cotton wicks, but if you notice any smoking or flickering while burning your candle, the wick needs to be trimmed. Keep trimmed, as needed, to 1/4”.
Accepted payment methods
- Accepts Etsy gift cards
I will also provide you with a tracking number once your package ships.
Orders will be shipped within 3-5 business days of receiving payment unless otherwise stated within the product listing. Please contact me if you would like your order to arrive by a certain time and I will do everything I can to make that happen for you.
If I have miscalculated my shipping costs, I will credit you for anything of $1 or more via your original method of payment. If it goes the other way...that is my problem.
For international customers: Buyers are responsible for any customs related duties/ fees.
SUMMER MONTHS SHIPPING (June - August mostly): Some of our products will melt or become soft in the hot summer weather. Lip balms and glosses should return to their intended shape if left upright inside for a hour or so. However, I will do everything I can to make sure this does not occur. During summer months, I will only ship on Mondays and Tuesdays to make it less likely shipments will sit in a hot warehouse or truck over a weekend. Please convo me if you have any questions or concerns about shipping.
Refunds and Exchanges
When doing an exchange or return, the buyer is responsible for returning items in the original condition as well as return shipping costs.
Additional policies and FAQs
I have a few wholesale listings in my shop:
For more information about custom orders or wholesale, please don't hesitate to send me a convo.