Announcement Unfortunately our shop has been the victim of theft. The bulk of our products and inventory have been taken down for the time being until things are sorted out though the proper legal channels.
Unfortunately our shop has been the victim of theft. The bulk of our products and inventory have been taken down for the time being until things are sorted out though the proper legal channels.
emcconn on Nov 9, 2016
We got it! Shipped on time, very well made It was a smidge shorter than we anticipated, but that's our fault for not measuring height accurately beforehand. We spray painted ours gold, and it's supporting the marble top well with the help of a plywood cut underneath. I would definitely order again. We may even bump up the size on this current one, but we're living with it for now.
Leslie on Sep 25, 2016
We love the bar stools as they are so well made and very comfortable. They were a custom order and Cathy was able to use our own fabric for the seat cushions. Their design goes well with our other mid century modern furniture too.
Mid Century Now
Welcome to Retro Evolution Design where our goal is to create new or restored pieces to accommodate the trends of today and beyond. To capture the sleek retro vibe that is mid century modern and infuse it with the different styles and interior spaces of the present. To preserve what is classic while still offering something new. To evolve.
Owner, Maker, Designer, Curator
Owner, Creator, Designer
Steven deals with operations, fabrication, and design.
Owner, Creator, Designer
Cathy deals with operations and the upholstery aspect of the shop.
Accepted payment methods
- Accepts Etsy gift cards
- Money Order
- Other Method
Shipping on most large furniture items is via Greyhound. Name, valid contact number, and preferred Greyhound Station of delivery are required for shipping. Greyhound MUST have a valid contact number to call and inform you when your item has arrived and is ready to be picked up. Greyhound only accepts declared values up to $300. Buyers assumes risk exceeding that amount.
Single smaller items, such as standard or smaller cat's cradle bases, small tristar bases, hairpin legs, etc. may be shipped USPS parcel post.
Local Pickup is welcomed. Please inquire if the specific item you are interested in is available for pick up to your area. (LA or SF/SAC) If it is you may purchase the item and ask the shipping cost be refunded or ask that a specific listing be made for you with the shipping cost set at $1.
Additional policies and FAQs
How tall are your stools?
- We offer our stools in two standard heights. Kitchen counter and bar height. Counter stools have an average seat height of 25.5 and are designed for use at kitchen counters with a height of 36". Bar stools have an average seat height of 29.5 for use at 40" bars.
I have a thick apron (3"+) on my counter/bar, will your stools work for me?
- Depends. Please let us know the top and bottom height of your counter or bar.
Will you make stools at a custom seat height?
- Maybe. Please message us with the seat height you would like, your counter or bar height, and the number of stools you would be getting. I try to help people with there custom requests but sometimes time and scheduling can make this prohibitive if busy.
My bar is 48" high can you make stools that work for that height?
- No. Who made your bar that tall?
What are the different options you offer for your custom stools?
- The different options you'll need to pick when ordering stools is the seat shape, seat upholstery, frame finish, and the veneer type for the back rests.
What seat shapes do you offer?
- Round. Squared. And seated.
How do I pick the upholstery?
- On our listings there should be a showing of our primary tweed collection that we use for our stools most often. You may pick from that collection or you may tell us the colors and materials you are interested in and we can send you actual samples. We recommend sending out physical samples out anyways as the true colors and textures can be misrepresented on a digital screen.
I don't like any of the fabrics you offer can I use my own?
- If you send us a sample first and we approve to use it then yes you may use customer own material (COM). Different fabrics may or may not work well on a particular shape. Cheaper fabrics tend form unsightly puckers around more rounded shapes. A fabric that may be OK for our seated shape, may not work as well on the round seats. For this reason we like to approve COM prior to doing the work. Please ask and we can help steer you in a proper direction if you would like COM.
Can I get leather seats?
- Because leather is typically only sold as the entire animal hide we generally limit leather to the color black or to larger commercial orders. Depending on the leather quality, color, number of stools needed, the specific size of a hide, etc. price will range from a minimum of 25 dollars extra per stool and up. The cost of a single hide can be 400 and up so leather is cost prohibitive for the person only wanting a few stools.
Metal Work - We will create customized dimensions or of our products such as table bases, bar stools, etc or possibly work with an idea to create something new if we feel there is valve potential. Customized dimensions of single items are typically material and production wise less efficient to create and may also require that specific temporary jigs also be made. As such a price increase will be applied to reflect these changes and the lead time should be expected to be greater. Price increase will typically be 25-100% greater depending on how they effect the above. Larger orders of multiple items the custom charge may be waived.
Upholstery Fabrics - If we direct you to one of our fabric suppliers web sites to browse the different upholstery choices there are literally thousands of different choices consisting of different colors, patterns, sheen, materials in various different grades and qualities. All fabrics are subject to approval as certain qualities, materials, or patterns may simply be an incorrect choice for a specific piece. The first step in doing a quality upholstery job is picking the right material to recover the piece. We are more then willing to help and point you towards appropriate collections and materials. Additional material cost will be added to the price.