Erin Ryckman on Nov 16, 2013
Washboard Bill was an absolute joy to do business with. These items were made with such love and talent, that there is nothing more meaningful I can give as a gift. Supporting local talent was my goal for the 2013 Christmas Season... and being able to buy these incredible pieces of art from an exceptionally gifted artisan made my goal so easy to achieve. If you want a truly unique gift for anyone truly special, there is no better place to shop!!!
Washboard BIll's Wonder Emporium
Washboard Bill is Plains Cree (ᓀᐦᐃᔭᐍᐏᐣ Nēhiyawēwin) and was born in 1978 in Red Lake, Ontario. He was raised by an old Romani gypsy named Olive and a biker named Frank "hot dog" James. When he was just 5 years old Olive and Frank moved them all to Niagara Falls, Ontario. Frank was also Ph.D professor of Contemporary Womens Studies and took a job teaching at the local university; it was there in Niagara Falls that Washboard Bill took up pottery and selling haiku's to lawyers in the Niagara Mall food court.
After he attended college for business management, Washboard Bill traveled to Paris for six months on a prestigious academic award. He spent most of his time sitting in coffee shops talking to old french print makers and sculptors, which lead to him being kicked out of his prestigious academic award program.
Making the most of his situation, Washboard Bill decided that his time in Paris shouldn't be wasted, so he stayed on at Madame Cassandra's boarding house for single men. He worked in a couple of local vaudeville revues as a dancer and stage manager, making friends with the local artists.
It was on his plane trip back to Niagara Falls, Ontario that Washboard Bill met a young women, Apollonia (Apple for short). They spoke for hours about art and the mastery of craft making. It was then that Washboard Bill KNEW what he had to do... start his own craft shop featuring only the BEST and most innovative in recycled, reshaped, quality and creatively made items.
No robots are used or abused in the making of our designer items. All items are made by a REALLY nice person, who has mad skills. And you appreciate that.
2. We believe that handmade items should be made with skill, love & heart.
3. If you have a gift USE IT. Loud and proud!! Viva le crafters!!! (That's french for crafters are awesome).
4. Equality for everyone.
5. Cheese should be healthy for you.
6. The truth is not only the best policy, it is Washboard Bill's #1 personal policy.
Accepted payment methods
2. We don't guarantee shipping, although we have faith in the postal service industry we also know that they take care of A LOT of mail and that's stressful and that on occasion mail doesn't always reach it's destination. This is out of OUR control and therefore we can not promise anything pertaining to shipping, unless you INSURE your item. Then we will have a tracking number and can stalk your item as it travels the land to you.
3. We recommend insuring your items. If you want insurance, you need to tell us you want it, although we would like say to say we read minds, we don't - we do LOTS of wonderful tricks, MIND READING is NOT IN OUR REPERTOIRE.
4. Unless otherwise listed as SHIPPING INCLUDED (this does not include insurance), inquire into shipping costs.
5. We still love you though, we can promise that. <3
6. For those of you who love our goods but live in far away lands (understand somewhere other then North America) you must let us know PRIOR TO PURCHASE, so we can quote you the proper international shipping costs. Normally, (and this is dependant on where you live in that far away land) international shipping costs no more then $20.00 Canadian dollars.
** At Washboard Bill's we are conscious of making sure that your items get to you in the fastest, most convenient, and cost effective manner. We will ALWAYS pack your items safely, with clean recycled materials, and in the best suitable packaging.
We WISH we had a time machine to get your items to you faster (and when we say faster understand NOW) and we trust that when making your purchases you are aware of your own postal-waiting-boundaries and make those boundaries known to us. Because we can ship your purchases to you how ever you would like to have them shipped and then tack that amount onto to your final total.
We like it when you smile.**
Refunds and Exchanges
All of our items are listed with truth and integrity. PLEASE READ the description carefully. If you have questions about an item - message us. At Washboard Bill's Wonder Emporium we love answering your questions. We understand that you imagine our products meeting a certain need in your life and we want to make sure that you are getting what you imagine. Without questions we have to mind read and you know how we feel about that - WE DON'T MIND READ. But we still love you we love you A LOT.